6.12.2008

Arts & Crafts Textiles


I've been reveling in my new favorite book Textiles of the Arts & Crafts Movement.  The pictures are wonderful and the author gives some great background on how this style developed during the late nineteenth century.  It's amazing how our society cycles through these periods of being excited by the development of technology and then exhausted by its disconnection to nature and the human need for something more authentic.  I think the upsurge in knitting groups over the last 5 years and web sites like etsy, where I will be selling my jewelry, exemplifies our movement back to celebrating handmade objects.  A handcrafted object has been infused with the love of human touch rather then a machine.  The investment in object suffused with affection is immeasurable because ultimately you are making a connection to the heart of another person -- the artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)