8.28.2008

Being Home

Home Sweet Home, Beth Hemmila, fine silver


Dreamscape, Beth Hemmila, digital collage

After moving to Portland four years ago, I've spent a lot of time culling rich themes from The Wizard of Oz to inspire my drawings and sculpture. One of the first digital drawings I created was Dreamscape. I'm intrigued by the idea that a house is our symbol of permanence, assuredness, and rest. However, in my artwork I use the image of a house to uncover the soul's illusive feeling of being at home. Can our sense of home ever be at rest or is it always changing?

A couple weeks ago my husband encouraged me to watch The Wiz for the first time, and I was blown away by Lena Horne's solo If You Believe, reminding Dorothy where she can find home. That was all I needed to reaffirm the deep feelings that motivated me to translate my tiny house drawings into a charm called Home Sweet Home. When I wear this charm, I like to remember that the home I feel within gives me the sustenance to appreciate and be at home on the outside :)

2 comments:

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)