8.19.2008

Gretchen Kramp Ceramic Tiles

Since living in Detroit I've been an adoring fan of Gretchen Kramp Ceramic Tiles. Pictured above is one that I have recently purchased from her Etsy store to add to my own tile collection. Isn't this Damselfly the just the best combination of yummy sculptural elements and smooth colors? Gretchen's style is closely related to another Detroit studio that is close to my heart -- Pewabic Pottery. Founded in 1903 by Mary Chase Stratton, Pewabic Pottery was an important part of the Arts & Crafts movement in the Midwest and produced nationally renowned ceramic tiles, architectural elements, and vessels. After all these years they are still producing work, showcasing new talent, and educating the public on ceramic.

I am smitten with this mischievous kitten, which is destined to find its way into my home! Her love of animals is apparent in her attention to detail such as the charming expression on this kitty's face. She also has created large scale tile murals for the Detroit Zoo's Arctic Ring of Life and the National Amphibian Conservation Center.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)