8.10.2008

Patina: To Be or Not To Be

Here is a resource to help illustrate the different finishings that can be produced when working with silver metal clay. My preference is the slightly aged look (patinated) in STEP 5, which appears as if the object has been handled for hundreds of years or unearthed from your grandmother's attic -- a long buried or forgotten treasure, anxiously awaiting your discovery. 

In my art, I like to create contrast between dark and light, generating a feeling of harmony. In addition, by defining dark and light areas, the image becomes more visible from a greater distance. Imagine a person standing across the room from you thinking, "hmmmmm, I see an image on that pendant and it looks intriguing. What is it?" The design on this Tree of Life pendant may be the magnet that attracts someone from across the room to walk up to you and start a lively conversation. Alternatively, the finishing in STEP 3 may be that wonderment or shiny spark, which draws that special someone into your sphere :)

STEP 1

Fine Silver Metal Clay Pendant: Kiln Fired


STEP 2

Fine Silver Metal Clay Pendant: Kiln Fired and Wire Brushed


STEP 3

Fine Silver Metal Clay Pendant: Kiln Fired, Wire Brushed and Tumbled


STEP 4

Fine Silver Metal Clay Pendant: 
Kiln Fired, Wire Brushed, Tumbled, and Oxidized with Liver of Sulfur Solution


STEP 5

Fine Silver Metal Clay Pendant: 
Kiln Fired, Wire Brushed, Tumbled, Oxidized and Polished

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing these steps! I have not tried PMC yet, but I am very excited to create with it. I will be taking a class on it in a few months...can't wait!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)