9.13.2008

Ishtar Gate & Wonder Woman


Lion, Ishtar Gate, Neo-Babylonian, 604-562 B.C.

I'm a junkie on ancient Mesopotamian art. I can't go without a dose of its elegance and austerity. During college, I was lucky enough to view the Ishtar Gate at the Pergamon Museum when visiting Berlin. Later my dream came true, and I was able to view a section of this masterpiece every day when I worked at the Detroit Institute of Arts. I remember feeling a profound sense of wonder when I entered the sacred room at the Pergamon dwarfed by a gorgeous, blue tiled gate

Below I finished my Courage charm in honor of my furry friend Hugo, and I'm considering incorporating his charm into an Ishtar Gate inspired bracelet with lapis, carnelian, and citrine. Definitely adornment fit for Wonder Woman!!

Courage, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry), fine silver, 2008

7 comments:

  1. Ooooh! That bracelet idea sounds WONDERful! Ha-Ha! Ahem...err. No, but really it does. Love the lion. Can't wait to see the bracelet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Now.. I LOVE wonder women. She's on reruns here on one of our channels and every chance I get I watch her. :) The bracelet sounds amazing.. I would love to see another like the labradorite necklace that you made. I love your style. :) Peace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it amazing how art can be so captivating. Viewing art that came from so long ago feels like an honor... almost freezing and numbing to view.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a beautiful piece. I love the design.

    I'm sure wonder woman would wear one of your bracelets proudly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES! Viewing art from the past is an honor! Thanks for summing up that feeling so well, tzbrink :)

    Debbie, maybe Wonder Woman will land on the Island of Misfit Toys and want something special to mark the occasion. Oh, what an exciting possibility!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beth, That brings me back.. when I saw Ishtar's Gate for the first time I was blown away. In later visits I was able to soak it all in. As a potter it makes you want to make lapiz blue tiles.

    As a feminist, I loved all the glory around
    female queens and deities. The jewelry and artifacts section at the Pergamon are also a
    knock out.Thanks for featuring this wonderful marvel. Joan T

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Joan you must have been in heaven at the Pergamon standing in front of Ishtar! Lapis blue, lapis blue...could drown in this color and this is one of my favorite glazes :) Thanks for checking out this piece. Hope you are well!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)