9.24.2008

What's Your Horse Mojo?

Catherine's necklace: spotted jasper, Kieshe pearls, 
smokey topaz Swarovski crystals, and fine and sterling silver

I can't speak for all men and women, but I know some of us gals have deep, intimate knowledge of our inner steed. For me, the Wind Horse charm I created has always conjured up images from the beginning of Sylvia Plath's poem Ariel:

Stasis in darkness.
Then the substanceless blue
Pour of tor and distances.

God's lioness,
How one we grow,
Pivot of heels and knees!

Like Sylvia, the locale of my imagination is East Coast/Midwest, and my inner horse was always pictured as a gleaming, chestnut brown with deep black eyes. What a chance surprise and delight when I received the image above from a fellow Etsy artist who interpreted her own version of Wind Horse in a new necklace design! I love the magic of sharing stories where I get an opportunity to taste the flavor of each person's inner landscape, and this necklace definitely transports me to the Southwest, where vast, dusty plains and pinto, dappled horses mingle in my imagination.

Catherine writes, "the spotted jasper reminded me of pinto colored mustangs -- just had to use it. Hope my design does justice to your work and you like it. Wore it [the necklace] yesterday and had several positive comments about it, mostly from people I didn't even know! It is going to a show this weekend -- hopefully it will go to a GOOD home (although I'm not sure I want to sell it!)."

Wow! It's a powerful feeling knowing that people can be instantly drawn to your story in one glance through a universal image and Catherine's elegant interpretation of the Southwest landscape in color and texture.

Thanks to Catherine for allowing me a glimpse into her imagination! What a fitting celebration of beauty and grace. This story makes me wonder about the other horses that are lingering out there in your hearts.  Anyone want to conjure up their inner steed and paint me a virtual picture?


8 comments:

  1. That necklace is absolutley gorgeous! Perfect choice of stone to compliment the Wind Horse Charm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the horse and land shed their colors into the beads so the horse could fly away silver.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again, you're so poetic. I love reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beauriful charm and yet another stunning creation by Catherine at shadowdogdesigns. I own 3 of her necklaces, and every time I leave my house with one on, I receive numerous compliments. They are truly works of art.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful piece!! The horse is such an elegant animal and your pendant showcases that quality so perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cindy, that's so neat that you own some originals by Catherine!! You're a lucky gal :)

    Debbie, always love it when you visit and connect with a posting :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)