10.07.2008

Ishtar

Ishtar, fine and sterling silver, silk thread, lapis, amber and carnelian

Last weekend I finished the Ishtar bracelet featuring my Courage charm. She's a beaut! I decided to use a tawny silk thread to knot the lapis beads together and add just a spark of amber to suggest the color of a lion's coat. Accents of deep, orange-red, faceted carnelians make a dotted path along a chunky chain of aged silver.


This bracelet has multiple layers and varying shapes and textures that mimic the complex depth of Ishtar -- a goddess that symbolized love, fertility and war. This luxurious adornment is fit for any woman who feels both a little earthy and exotic. It's like traveling back in time to Persia and uncovering a treasure that's been hidden away for years, and now you possess its secret alluring magic.


In addition, the magnificence of ancient jewelry resonates in its honest use of precious, raw materials. The colors of ancient architecture, sculpture, pottery, and jewelry are hues produced directly from the earth. No wonder that we love the Ishtar Gate for it capitalizes on the primary colors: red, yellow, and blue. This triad of colors is a dynamic psychological combination and communicates messages of power and decisive action -- wearable art for a modern day Wonder Woman.  I like to think of the blue as cooling water, the amber as a glowing sunset, and the red-orange as the warm, ruddy earth. Together they represent a color microcosm of ancient Babylon and our universe.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, this is absolutely awesome! I love it! The colors are great, and I love lions. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi B!
    I love this set too! Are these jewelry pieces for yourself?
    BTW
    You've been TAGGED!
    I hope you play along.
    http://Lorelei1141.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lorelei! They aren't suppose to be jewelry pieces for myself but I must have a difficult time letting go because I keep waffling on how to post them in my shop. Alas, I may need to hire a task master this weekend.

    Thanks for tagging me! I'll definitely see what I can come up with :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)