11.24.2008

Finding My Inner Giraffe


Could I actually be a giraffe masquerading as a human? I confess, while living in San Diego I felt a need to go blond, but I assumed it was all that sand and surf. Now I look at this picture of me at the San Diego Zoo, and I'm wondering if this baby giraffe could be a distant cousin. 

As mentioned in an earlier post, I've never been drawn to giraffes, but scratching through the surface of this belief, I realize that these long-necked quadrupeds have played a significant role in my childhood development. Here's a quick inventory: Jerome the Giraffe from the Friendly Giant TV show, the Playskool wooden giraffe scooter that I liked to take for a spin, and I almost forgot about ol' Geoffrey at Toys 'R' Us.

I'm definitely drawn to the notion of creating an image that would embody Marshall Rosenberg's Nonviolent Communication concept of giraffe language, where communication is spoken from the heart. Marshall imagines a human giraffe is a person who is willing to stick their neck out in the service of compassion and look at the bigger picture.



Ceremonial Palette, Egyptian, Late Predynastic Period

Remembering my amazing giraffe moment at the San Diego Zoo led me to find this cleverly designed Egyptian relief. However, I'm still on the look out for more giraffe images. If you have a favorite giraffe memory to share, I would definitely enjoy putting  your story into my alchemical picture pot. In the meantime, stay tuned for future giraffe designs.

1 comment:

  1. ha! Distant cousin.
    That's hilarious. Such a cute pic.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)