11.17.2008

Out of Africa at Modern Bird

Gabriella, Laura Flavin @ Modern Bird: sterling silver

Over the last three months I have been participating in a Compassionate Communication workshop. If you drink the NVC Kool Aid, then you already know about giraffe and jackal language (more on this subject in a later post, so stay tuned). Well, I've never been too terribly interested in giraffes, I mean they're beautiful and everything, but I tend to be drawn to carnivores. All of a sudden I'm seeking out my inner giraffe, and I just know there is a new pendant design waiting to emerge.

Why even come up with a new design when I find that my Etsy friend Modern Bird has the most adorable giraffe necklace for sale called Gabriella? Laura uses age old metalsmithing techniques to create hand-sawned and textured designs. Moreover, she is fond of some of my favorite artists: Klee, Calder, and Miro. Her wonderful sense of shape and simplicity reflects the same kind of filtering these artists pursued.

Her work is handmade, stylish and well priced for the holiday season!

3 comments:

  1. ohh.. what a lovely giraffe!
    So simple and clean. love it. I'm going to bounce over to her shop and check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, I know! I keep thinking about this little giraffe. Really captures Laura's spirit :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)