12.02.2008

Ironwood


Ironwood, Beth Hemmila: green opal, carnelian, fine and sterling silver

Ironwood was inspired by the memories of a camping trip my two friends took in the Mexican Red Wolf reintroduction area in the White Mountains of Arizona. One night they both huddled in a tent, long after dark, and listened to the wolves howling, calling out, and answering each other. To honor her partner Jen's 40th birthday, my friend Beth asked me to design a wolf necklace that would capture the essence of this story.

The experience of these women in the woods reminded me of Ironwood, a mythical Norse forest, which was once inhabited by mighty wolves who were said to be snatchers of the moon. In Ironwood I tried to capture the mournful cry of a Moon-Hound calling out to her pack. She is adorned with the colors of Copper Country and the Northwoods of Michigan -- carnelian and green opal.

In the back of the necklace is a North Star, a symbol of Beth's enduring love for her partner and her ability to light the way in the deepest of forests.

It is no wonder that the wolf has become a powerful female image in the last 20 years, who wouldn't want to spend time journeying with moonlight and letting out a howl every once and a while! What a fabulous way to celebrate 40 years! Happy Birthday Jen!

5 comments:

  1. How wonderful to be asked to create something like this. I'm sure Ironwood will be a life long treasure. And . . . Happy Birthday, Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is gorgeous! I love the story, symbolism and meaning behind the piece. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful. What a great memmory.
    The descriptions you write are always so enjoyable to read. I love the colors.
    happy friday to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this!
    love the colors, the green opal,the texture, the message.
    I love your posts about your jewelery, makes a beautiful piece even more beautiful.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you like the colors and the description of this necklace. Thanks for all your complements!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)