1.27.2009

Heirloom Jewelry & Stories

Clasp Necklace and Bracelet Wrap, Nina Bagley: porcelain, pearls,
resin, paper, sterling silver, and leather


For me the inner narrative of any object is its essence. Perhaps this why I have a fascination with jewelry because the act of wearing something is spinning an object's story into being for it is imbued with each moment and feeling of one's life. Pictured above is a wonderful bracelet created by jewelry designer Nina Bagley. What draws me to her work is this feeling that the object has a past story, and it is meant to enter the life of a wearer in order to fabricate more narrative. I have a sense that her jewelry is meant to be passed on like a chain letter through generations of women who will interweave their own stories into this love object.

One of the gifts women share is to be the keepers and tellers of stories, to find heirlooms or symbols that embody our shared values and pass them on to others, and Nina Bagley does this all too well!

10 comments:

  1. What a beautiful, thoughtful posting. You're so right about the essence. My husband and I have inherited several pieces of furniture, jewelry, etc. Those pieces are treasured because of the multi-generational essence they seem to emanate. I can feel his grandmother's presence any time we use her china - she's happy we take joy in using her pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh Catherine, I hadn't even thought about china. How beautiful to think of all the wonderful meals, social gatherings, and giving of thanks are imbued in those objects. Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful find! I haven't seen her work before!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this jewelry piece is lovely! it surely speaks of some memorable moments interwoven to create a collage of wonderful stories about love and life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. cserdan, glad you like her work!

    juwelen, so happy you connected to her story in this piece of jewelry :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ahhh, so sensual, beautiful and amazing piece of art, brava!!!
    :*

    ReplyDelete
  7. ;] brava nina, and brava beth for this choice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you connected with Nina's sensuality, Sandra!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely gorgeous this necklace!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with you on this one, ontherocks! Nina's necklace is pure gorgeousness. Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)