2.05.2009

Spring Tea


Welcome stranger! I hope you'll join me for a spot of tea...

While half the country is hunkering down for a February freeze, Portland is experiencing hints of spring. I'd love to share this fresh, windy smell, sunny daffodils from the store, and our birds warbling their brightest songs. To celebrate, lets try out my new flowering tea set -- a birthday present from my mother.

Isn't she lovely? While watching the flower open in my new glistening Teavana pot, I am transported to the beginning sequence of the movie The Age of Innocence. Do you remember how Martin Scorsese was able to capture the beauty of flowers blooming?


A glimpse of a flower from the Great Lakes Tea & Spice company. Can you smell its deep earthy aroma? Trapped in my teapot, this flower could be the work of artist Paul Stankard who crafts the most beautiful glass foliage and encases them in a stillness, inviting viewers to pollinate blossoms with their eyes.


A tiny bud awaits its moment of opening. Isn't she precious? I adore newly formed buds and am especially drawn to the idea of its many layers snuggled up waiting to unfold. This bud could represent the beginning of our conversation over tea. What will we say to each other? Where will our stories lead? The bud holds endless mysteries of unknown future moments. Even when the human soul draws inward like this bud, it holds a type of infinite beauty -- the suggestion of possibilities and the promise of an awakening.


Lastly, a cup of tea would not be as much fun without a little sweetness. These honey beads do the trick and supply a rich smooth flavor to our elixir of spring.

Ahhhhh....delicious! How wonderful to experience this awakening with you over tea. I hope you find some new inspiration. Perhaps I will wish you bees and flowers in your dreams so you will remember this moment.

10 comments:

  1. such an inspiring, beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A visual feast, thank you for sharing. Come, spring, Come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for coming in for a spot of tea and enjoying a taste of spring. So good to see you both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I think I'll start drinking tea again!
    Those honey beads are very interesting...I might have to give them a try, first I;m going to pull out my teapot and brew me something good and warm. Thanks for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you are enjoying your new found friend in tea, Fab Fibers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always take honey in my coffee, but I really love the look of those honey beads. I like the romance of them. May just have to get me some!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lora, I love the romance of them so much that I may just have to do it again today even though it's gloomy and rainy :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks very nice and makes me thirsty!:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful post and a perfect present from your Mom! Have tried all sorts of teas in the quest for the perfect "cuppa", but have never tried flowering tea. Can almost taste it - delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Catherine you must try this flowering tea. It's such a lovely experience watching it open and then float in the water.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)