4.07.2009

Are You Being Served?


My love for the blogging community just expanded to profound proportions after playing with my new best friend Google Analytics. Every day, the world of Etsy and blogging remind me that if you act with authenticity, then no competition exists. Mark Silver from the Heart of Business teaches that no competition exists when you learn to recognize the unique gifts you are offering are like no other person's concoction. I find simple proof in those delightfully entertaining challenges on Top Chef or Project Runway where contestents are all given the same parameters but come up with an endless number of solutions.

Etsy and blogging are like this gigantic, colorful, and exuberant marketplace where each shopkeeper is welcoming their visitors and then saying, "if you really love the beauty here, then you must dash over to Sally, Laura, and Jane's to check out their extraordinary work." Just like this photograph of tiny white flowers all dangling from the same branch our beauty is interconnected and no two buds are alike, so why not share it all?


If you have a blog, Etsy site, or other Web site, then I recommend high tailing it over to Google Analytics and signing up for a report that reveals who has devoted their heart to serving your business. As you can see from this pie chart, 71% of all people visiting my blog arrive from referred sources such as other bloggers or social networking sites such as Flickr and Facebook. What a great way to be in gratitude to the people who make you shine on a daily basis, and reaffirm your own desire to serve these people and others in return.


From the data above, you can see that four generous souls have repeatedly led kindred spirits to my site: jewelry designers Lorelei Eurto from Handmade Jewelry by Lorelei, Heather Powers from Humblebeads, Erin Siegel from Every Heart Crafts, and Lynn Davis from ExpeditionD.



Some days feel like the center of this flower, where everyone is a tiny, delicate thread, dancing together, spreading pollen, and generating collective waves of beauty. Many heart felt thanks to all the people who are generously sharing my work with the universe!

Note: To add an Etsy site to Google Analytics, choose Your Etsy > Shop Set Up > Web Analytics. Follow their directions to add the Google Analytics Tracking ID.

15 comments:

  1. What an awesome post Beth!! And wow! That's a lot of visitors coming to you from my blog, yay!!
    hey wait a minute, why are they leaving my blog to go to yours. HEEEYYYY!!
    ;)
    just playin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very well said- we are really like the center of the flower indeed! ~Happy Spring*

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES!!!! Thank you, Beth!!! I have always felt this way. I try to tell this to people who worry too much about copycats, but I could not have said it has wonderfully and elegantly has you have. Your wisdom is incredible! What a powerful and beautiful message this is! I will be blogging about your post here. I am more than happy to serve you anytime! We are all of serve in one way or another. You have served me by posting this. Thanks for the tips on Google Annalytics, I will be checking that out as well as the Heart of Business site you mentioned , too! Thanks so much, Beth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Speaking of links; thanks for yours - dropping one back at you here:
    http://ascenderrisesabove.com/?page_id=4330

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad everyone is loving this post! I'm tickled :)

    Lorelei, all I can say is you're so darn irresistible that everyone needs to know your friends too!

    Erin, how wonderful that you are going to share this on your blog...many thanks and cheers to being infinitely unique!

    Right now I'm loving being in the center of this flower and running over to check out Ascender Rises Above!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just saw the reciprocal links on Ascender Rises Above and thank you thank both for the mention but for directing me to a whole new pool of creatives I would love to know :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very well put! Thanks for this info!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome post and thank you for all this information!! This is just a terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do love this blogging world and the way that chasing down links can land you in unpredictable places and in the company of new friends.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post and well written. Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Marbella and Sharon so glad this post spoke to you both!

    I totally dig what you mean about chasing down links and finding new friends. Some days I feel like Nancy Drew Creative :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beth, I'm so happy that folks are finding you, such a lovely post about connections. For me, that's what the blog and the internet are about, tracing our interests and being connected to ideas and other people who share those interests. And - lots of people come to my blog from yours, also - it's like holding hands and moving in a circle, we all come together.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lynn, your insight is so poetic! I would love to frolic in a circle dance with you...could Matisse paint us too? http://www.moma.org/collection/browse_results.php?object_id=79124

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are an inspiration for all bloggers, especially me...I just started one today and I'm a little nervous about it. Will people read it? Do I have anything interesting to say? etc etc. I found your blog from reading Erin's and I will link yours to mine. A small world, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Sharon! I totally relate to what you are saying about putting your words out in the cyber universe and wondering if they will spark interest.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)