6.02.2009

Silver Lake

Silver Lake, Beth Hemmila: silver & plum pearls, garnet, iolite, fine and sterling silver

There in the round, low place the wind hardly disturbed the fragrance of the violets. The sun was warm there, the sky was overhead, the green walls of grass curved all around and butterflies fluttered over the crowding violet-faces.

- Laura Ingalls Wilder, By the Shores of Silver Lake

Last year my mother and I read the whole Little House series written by Laura Ingalls Wilder. My favorite book was By the Shores of Silver Lake. To honor the closure of our Little House book club, I created this precious necklace called Silver Lake.


Inspired by Wilder's rich descriptions of the prairie, this necklace acts like a snapshot, capturing one tiny corner of Laura's vast landscape. Here on Silver Lake, I imagined the many wildflowers and furry creatures that inhabited Laura's childhood and strung these memories together.



This is the detail from the back of the necklace. I couldn't resist including a couple of silver pearls to evoke the reflection of sky on the surface of a lake.

6 comments:

  1. so beautiful! and the connection you make with Laura's words, just lovely...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely necklace, Beth! i love the pearls and the bunny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! Glad you saw the connection between the words and the necklace :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew up in the area that the Little House on the Prarie was set. This is beautiful and perfectly embodies Silver Lake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LeAnn, how cool that you lived near Laura's old homestead! I'll have to make a sojourn there sometime :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)