7.15.2009

Ancient Earthy Symbols


Boy, when I saw that the Art Bead Scene Monthly challenge for July was the ancient Lascaux cave paintings, I was totally stoked! As I mentioned before in my Copyright series, I have spent an inordinate amount of time learning from one of the most beautiful examples of copying -- the Lascaux cave paintings.


In fact, my Wind Horse charm pictured in the Mesa necklace below was definitely influenced by horses drawn in the Lascaux caves. I love how this ancient horse is voluptuous and elegant all at the same time.


silver horse charm necklace hint jewelryMesa, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry):
amber, fine and sterling silver

When I designed Wind Horse for Hint Jewelry, I purposely chose to echo that beautiful undulating line of the belly found in the Paleolithic cave painting.



silver horse charm necklace hint jewelryMesa, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry):
amber, fine and sterling silver


For the Mesa necklace, I paired the curvaceous horse with an elongated urban chain and fiery, wire-wrapped amber. All these elements together suggest a type of ancient abstraction tinged with modern elegance.

silver gazelle antelope tree charm necklaceKenya, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry):
cocoa freshwater pearls, fine and sterling silver

My second Lascaux inspired necklace had me thinking about the grasslands of Africa. In Kenya, I combined an elegant gazelle called Jana with a Tree of Life charm. I loved watching the National Geographic TV specials as a kid, and I seem to recall maybe an intro with antelopes running across the plains of Africa...simply breathtaking.


silver gazelle antelope tree charm necklace hintKenya, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry):
cocoa freshwater pearls, fine and sterling silver
The Paleolithic world holds endless fascination for me mainly because there no written records of their daily lives. The Lascaux cave paintings are a poignant visual history of what human beings may have seen just outside their doorstep :)

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful...
    I still do enjoy my National Geography channel.
    Nature is our best inspiration indeed*

    ~XO*

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Lascaux cave paintings are sooo awesome. I just can't get over how beautiful they are. You do choose only the best for your inspiration, Beth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, as always! Next to my Stillness necklace, your Mesa design is my new favorite (: And you answered my earlier question about the Lascaux cave paintings - should have checked here first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love your interpretation of the ABS challenge for this month. You've inspired me to create!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)