7.08.2009

Making Social Bookmarking a Snap

social bookmarking addthis
While working on some blog improvements today, I discovered a simple way to add social bookmarking to my site in one quick and painless maneuver. When I was busy becoming the next social bookmarking guru and diligently adding things to StumbleUpon, Stylehive, and Kaboodle, I spent a lot of time utilizing the Bookmark and Share feature on Etsy (you can find this link located in the lower right hand corner of any Etsy shop). I finally saw the itty bitty question "What's this?" at the bottom of the menu and decided to click myself away to a new adventure.


social bookmarking addthis
Surprise! Etsy is using a social bookmarking tool from a site called Add This, which you can also insert into Blogger, Wordpress, MySpace, or your own Web site. It's as simple as answering three questions: What service are you using? What style of button? Do you want analytics?

Once you've completed the questions, Add This will lead you through the installation process. For an overview of how their social bookmarking tool works, check out a short Add This video.


social bookmarking addthisFor my Hint Jewelry blog, I chose to add the social bookmarking button to to my sidebar and to the bottom of each blog post. By having the button in two places, people can either choose to bookmark my whole site or focus on a particular article that peaks their interest. Add This currently supports over 50 networks and bookmark destinations, and I found this button to be so much easier then editing and adding images to HTML code :)

Give your readers the gift of easy sharing and insert social bookmarking onto your blog and Web sites. Be sure to choose the analytics feature and have Add This send you weekly reports detailing the sharing trends for your site!

10 comments:

  1. That's really great advice, thank you. I've just added it to my blog

    http://ilovehandmadeblog.blogspot.com/

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will check this out Beth, you are always a wealth of information!! I stink at computer tasks, and you always make it easy!!
    How's that book coming?!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coolaroo! Anything that makes this IT troglodites interface with the great wide web easier is much appreciated. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Beth, for another enlightening post! I am going to Etsy right now...we need all the help we can in this economic market.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad the ease of this feature spoke to you all!

    Sharon, unfortunately the book is still on simmer. I had grand plans over vacation, but gleefully abandoned them for games in the pool :)

    Kevin, thanks so much for stopping by and adding this to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this--I drove myself crazy for about an hour one day trying to add a Tweet this button to my blog posts. Didn't work. Hopefully I'll be able to stumble blindly through the hoops on this one without a rug burn (my last one just did heal up)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing, I just went and added a button to my blog. It only took a couple of minutes:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lunedreams, I was there too for a couple hours trying to edit the html the hard way!! Hope this one was smoother :)

    Craftyways, glad you loved the simplicity of this gadget!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks. I'd tried this once before but didn't get it to work. Now it does!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)