7.09.2009

Secrets and Butterflies

silver butterfly charm by hint jewelryJourney, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry): freshwater pearl, fine and sterling silver

This Victorian styled necklace was inspired by a little known book called A Lost Lady by Willa Cather. Definitely an interesting read, but I'm almost hesitant to recommend this classic because like all of Willa Cather's novels I felt a distinct emptiness when it was all over.

Supposedly the movie A Lost Lady (1934) with Barbara Stanwyck (one of my all time favorite actresses!) was loosely based on Cather's novel, and the characters may have provided inspiration for F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby.

silver butterfly charm necklace hint jewelryJourney, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry): freshwater pearl, fine and sterling silver

I kept the design simple, dangling a single freshwater pearl in front and back with a silver butterfly charm. Even though the main character, Marian Forrester, literally continues to remain a bit lost, I kept wanting her to awaken and transform into something stupendous like a caterpillar into a butterfly.

As Deepak Chopra so aptly outlines in The Book of Secrets, I wanted so desperately for Marian to unlock the magic of her transformative butterfly spirit found within.

sterling silver pearl chain hint jewelryJourney, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry): freshwater pearl, fine and sterling silver

The deepest hunger in life is a secret that is revealed only when a person is willing to unlock a hidden part of the self. In the ancient traditions of wisdom, this quest has been likened to diving for the most precious pearl in existence...

Deepak Chopra, The Book of Secrets: Opening the Hidden Dimensions of Your Life

5 comments:

  1. Lovely, Beth, in each and every way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beth, this post is seamless... your necklace, book reference and beautiful quote... i will be holding on to that one in my mind... transformations are what life should be about... just seeing the necklace inspires me, imagine the daily affirmation it will be for the one who wears it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful creation! As always! Just wanted to stop by and see what you have been up to. I've been away from blogging for so long and miss all of my cyber friends. Ta, ta, Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for connecting with the intention behind this piece, ladies!

    Mary Jane, I'm so glad you enjoyed the quote...its one of my favs.

    Debbie, I've been missing your silliness!! What have you been up to? Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)