8.27.2009

Ocean Wave


The Art Bead Scene Challenge picked another one of my all time favorite wanna be artists for the month of August -- famous Japanese painter and printmaker Katsushika Hokusai. My woodcuts never looked as fabulous as his Great Wave Off Kanagawa, but I definitely was in awe of Hokusai's mastery of the medium and deft handling of composing a powerful image on paper.


silver shell charm necklace hint jewelrySiren, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry): iolite, fine and sterling silver

In honor of Hokusai's wonderful wave print, I created a ocean inspired necklace with Hint Jewelry's Aphrodite shell charm and a series of tiny, wire-wrapped iolite gemstones.


silver shell charm necklace hint jewelrySiren, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry): iolite, fine and sterling silver
Siren makes me think of that moment when you emerge from swimming in the sea and tiny droplets of water glisten on your skin like these gemstones.


silver lucky fish charm necklace hint jewelryInner Flow, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry): blue lapis, fine and sterling silver

I created a second entry for Art Bead Scene's August Challenge using Hint Jewelry's fish charm. This choker necklace was inspired by all those amazing swimmers who take to the sea for surfing and triathlons. It's a little bit sporty with round, lapis beads and an oblong sterling chain.


silver lucky fish charm necklace hint jewelryInner Flow, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry): blue lapis, fine and sterling silver

Of course this little fish charm is a reminder to take life as it comes and ride the waves!

7 comments:

  1. We share a common friend- virginia... She recently made a custom oriel for me and used a few of your charms!. omg.. absolutely beautiful work u do!.. I visited your etsy site and I am in love w/it. Most likely I will be ordering something from you but will need to make up my mind as to whether it be a necklace or bracelet!.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for enjoying the ocean inspired theme!

    Chrissy, how wonderful that Virginia included a few of my charms in her work for you! Thank you so much for appreciating my charms and stopping by my blog. I look forward to seeing what you pick out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Beth --

    I love your work and especially love the choices you make in chains and other findings that pull your pieces together. Could you share your necklace source? I bought two charms that I thought I would put on a bracelet but I would much prefer now to wear them around my neck. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Barbara, I'm actually putting the chains together myself from wholesale components that I've purchased (chain, clasps, and wire). Most of the chain, wire and findings are purchased from Rio Grande or Dava Bead Wholesale. I am selling these types of chain necklaces in my shop. If you want to purchase one from me or have me create a different length and use a different clasp then is listed, I can do a custom order. They come in plain sterling or antiqued, 18 or 16 inches. Here is the link: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5845218&section_id=6149944

    Thanks for the feedback on my choice of components!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the post, you have done really a great work, this is really what i was looking for, i love to creativity and i will definitely try it and will let you know about the results.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)