4.27.2010

Abstraction: Remembering Simple Pleasures

Insula Dulcamara, Paul Klee, 1938: oil on newsprint mounted on burlap

The April monthly challenge over at Art Bead Scene is inspired by a beautiful painting by the artist Paul Klee. If you've ever visited or lived in a Mediterranean type environment, this painting seems to best express its subtle vibrancy. I love how Paul Klee may have been originally inspired by the Greek hero Odysseus whose journey home was delayed by the sea nymph Calypso.

I like to think that the sinuous black line through the middle of the painting is Calypso lying on the beach, while Odysseus looks on in wonder, caught by her seduction!


silver eclipse charm jewelry moonEclipse, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry):
ruby, sapphire, spinel, peridot, sterling chain, and silver eclipse charm

Inspired by the abstract lines and the colors of Paul Klee's painting, I created a simple necklace using a Hint Jewelry charm called eclipse. For fun, I picked gems that matched the colors of the painting and wire wrapped them as one cluster into the sterling chain. I like how this necklace feels modern and sporty all at the same time.


silver eclipse charm necklace moonEclipse, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry):
ruby, sapphire, spinel, peridot, sterling chain, and silver eclipse charm

The joy of working with abstract paintings from artists such as Paul Klee is that it forces me to break down jewelry into basic elements: color, line, form, and shape. Regardless of where you are at in the creative process this always brings a person back to those nurturing moments of childhood where picking up a crayon and drawing a circle feels like you just climbed Mt. Everest.

Are you giving yourself the gift of remembering the simplicity of creativity? If not, doodle your way through some lines and circles! :)

3 comments:

  1. I doodle spirals. And now I am doodling those in wire, inspired by Kerry Bogert! I love your simple style. Fresh. Subtle. But big on impact. Enjoy the day! Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. The black line IS very sinuous in the painting and I smiled at your description of the seductress Calypso laying on the beach with Odysseus looking on in wonder. Think your design is very sensuous indeed and captures the tone of the painting perfectly. Thanks for sharing how it came about. BTW, I'm sure an "eclipse" charm will shortly find its way here :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin, what fun you are doodling your spirals in wire. Thanks so much for supporting the simplicity of my work!

    Catherine, doesn't this painting just beg for a TV mini series! I'm sure Calypso would have made a great diva :) Glad you like eclipse and I am still trying to figure out what I want to say about it.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)