4.10.2010

Designing Aphrodite Primavera

silver mermaid sea shell necklace jewelery venus aphroditeAphrodite Primavera, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry):
prehnite, pink tourmaline, citrine, apatite, green silk thread,
sterling silver wire and chain, and fine silver mermaid shell charm

Hello beautiful spring!



prehnite pink tourmaline earringsPrimavera Earrings, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry):
prehnite, pink tourmaline, and sterling silver wire

It all started with a dream where I envisioned these amazing prehnite and pink tourmaline earrings. Do you ever design in your dreams? I do quite frequently, and I find that they are usually more satisfying designs then the ones when I do when I'm awake. When I woke up from my dream, I remember thinking how delicious these earrings looked with the soft, green prehnite, which looked like a succulent honey dew or ripe watermelon and the juicy pink tourmaline gemstones that cascaded down my neck like little summer berries.


silver mermaid sea shell necklace jewelry aphrodite venusAphrodite Primavera, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry):
prehnite , pink tourmaline, citrine, apatite, green silk thread,
sterling silver wire and chain, and fine silver mermaid shell charm

The earrings in my dream were extremely elaborate and complicated. I sketched out a bunch of potential designs in my journal, but I ended up fabricating earrings that were simple yet kept the essence of the color sensation I experienced.

Sometimes a dream becomes the starting point for discovering a whole new set of artistic ideas. For instance, I started collecting color schemes from magazines and books that reminded me of this dream. I sketched out little flowers that seemed to be connected in my mind to this image and just let my eyes attach to things that may not have made literal sense but seemed to relate.



silver mermaid sea shell necklace jewelry aphrodite venusAphrodite Primavera, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry):
prehnite, pink tourmaline, citrine, apatite, green silk thread,
sterling silver wire and chain, and fine silver mermaid shell charm

I became increasingly interested in the gemstone combination I was using for a necklace design that grew out of my Primavera earring dream. I never use prehnite in my shop because it's a really difficult color to photograph and seems to only look good on a select few. But I stopped thinking like a rational business owner and decided to just design from my dream and derive enjoyment from the process.

When I looked up prehnite and pink tourmaline in my Gems of Wisdom, Gems of Power book by Teresa Kennedy I made an interesting discovery.

Well first off, Teresa Kennedy has included this wonderful quote at the beginning of the section on prehnite:

Our dreams are firsthand creations, rather than residues of waking life. We have the capacity for infinite creativity; at least while dreaming, we partake of the power of the Spirit, the infinite Godhead that creates the cosmos.
-- Jackie Gleason

(Keep in mind I hadn't purchased this book yet when I had my Primavera earring dream!)

Apparently, this subtly colored green stone is pretty powerful stuff. Deepening your dreams, insights, creativity, and meditative states, prehnite helps you bring something that has been lingering in your unconscious to light. Kennedy also goes on to say "if from a creative standpoint you've been guilty of producing only what you believe the market will bear, it is sure to show you how and when it's time to pull out all the stops."

Wow! This is exactly what I had been struggling with. Designing for the what I think the market will bear, which can be so draining and ultimately unrewarding.

In contrast, pink tourmaline is some kind of wonderful aphrodisiac that inspires you to trust in all different forms of love -- spiritual and material. It is the perfect stone for healing and cleansing your heart chakra.


silver mermaid, sea shell necklace jewelry aphrodite venusAphrodite Primavera, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry):
prehnite, pink tourmaline, citrine, apatite, green silk thread,
sterling silver wire and chain, and fine silver mermaid shell charm

I was so touched by the idea that my subconscious knew exactly which gems and colors that I needed to inspire me that I decided to trust my instincts and add a couple more stones to my necklace in the form of apatite and citrine.

Cheerful, blue apatite aids in all forms of communication and self-expression while the sunny, yellow citrine is warming and promotes abundance.



silver mermaid sea shell necklace aphrodite venusAphrodite Primavera, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry):
prehnite , pink tourmaline, citrine, apatite, green silk thread,
sterling silver wire and chain, and fine silver mermaid shell charm

For the longest time, I didn't know which Hint Jewelry charm belonged on this necklace. I left it as a strand of gems with these wonderful little floral like dangles that reminded me of a garland around my neck.


silver mermaid sea shell necklace jewelry aphrodite venusAphrodite Primavera, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry):
prehnite, pink tourmaline, citrine, apatite, green silk thread,
sterling silver wire and chain, and fine silver mermaid shell charm

That's what designing feels like sometimes...I don't know what to do next. So I just let my necklace simmer for a while. I would take out charms that I "thought" would work and put them up next to the gems to see if they were a fit. Then one day I just decided to pick charms at random and chose this little Aphrodite shell charm. She felt like a perfect match :)

Well of course, Aphrodite had been a work in my dreams, guiding and prompting me to design this necklace that honors what is most essentially feminine in all creatures -- our creativity!

6 comments:

  1. LOVE prehnite, and it's really lovely with that deep berry color. You were right on with your choices, and I think you photographed it quite nicely. Unfortunately it's like labradorite--breathtaking in person, but a real challenge to communicate its uniqueness in a photo. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just when I think you have outdone yourself on a design, darn, if you don't outdo yourself again! Love, love LOVE this necklace, Beth! It looks gorgeous on you. And, yes, many design ideas come to me in dreams - those are good dreams (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks everyone for enjoying this piece!

    Lunedreams, oh to be able to photograph labradorite! I love this stone but also another one people seem reluctant to buy because they can't see the shimmering colors.

    Catherine, why am I not surprise you are designing in your dreams? I bet they are colorful :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)