5.11.2010

Gem Stories: Emerald

emerald earrings jewelryEmerald Dream, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry):
sterling silver wire, apatite, and emerald

During my reading of Victoria Finlay's chapter on emeralds in Jewels: A Secret History, I revealed how little I use or wear emeralds. Intrigued by my reluctance to embrace this gem, I tasked myself with designing a pair of earrings that I would make me feel like Cleopatra.

The result was these dangling earrings that pairs earthy, green emeralds with a simple wire wrapped apatite. Designing these earrings definitely opened me up to new emerald possibilities and had me wondering what other messages I had missed in this gem.


emerald earrings jewelryEmerald Dream, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry):
sterling silver wire, apatite, and emerald

Chosen as the traditional birthstone for May and known as the stone that inspires infinite patience, emerald promotes balance in all forms of relationship. It calms emotions and opens hearts, creating mutual understanding among groups of people and promoting cooperation.

I've started to think of the emerald as a talking stick -- a stone encouraging wisdom and truth in community circles. Hmmm...I wonder what politics would be like if our leaders held an emerald in their hand before speaking? Maybe Cleopatra was onto something!

7 comments:

  1. Beth, I love the color its so earthy... and very feminine earrings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are really beautiful. Simple and stunning. I love that Jewel book by Victoria Finlay. I think that after I finish her book on colors I might go back and reread some of the chapters.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Enjoy the day!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting revelation. Hmmm. Although I am definitely one to wear lots of green, I seem to be missing an emerald piece. Wonder why?
    Love the combination of apatite and emerald you used!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous combination of emerald and apatite, Beth! Those earrings are fit for a queen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So delish! (everything you do is!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never been that fond of Emeralds. Unfortunate for me, since I have a May birthday. The earrings you created are stunning and have opened me up to the stone as well. With your beautiful description of the Emerald's qualities, I too must rethink my position and embrace my birthstone. Lovely post. Thank you! (and maybe we should send them to all of our politicians!)

    The graduation gift was a hit! Your work is beautiful and it was the most fitting gift. She loved it and put it on right away. Peace and love
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. yahoo! my first emerald piece and people are enjoying it. Thank you so much for giving me feedback on this stone.

    Linda, Glad to have opened you up too! Next election shall I start sticking emeralds in the mail and sending them to politicians? Glad the graduation gift was loved :)

    Stregata, I'm thinking you would look great in emeralds!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)