5.15.2010

Heirloom Memory Necklace: April 2010

silver flaming heart charm milagro jewelry necklaceFlaming Heart Milagro charm, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry)

As I looked through my sketchbook for what to add for the month of April to my Heirloom Memory necklace, I was most drawn to the idea of how much work I did on grounding myself to the earth and its impact on opening my heart.


Flaming Heart Milagro charm, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry)

I planted a new garden with my husband in April, had dreams about a trip I took to the Valley of Fire in Nevada, and spent a lot of time researching Paiute Indians. During my searching, I came across a Paiute mystic called Jack Wilson or Wovoka who started a religious movement among the Native Americans called Ghost Dance. Be sure to check out this intriguing movie from 1894 of a Sioux tribe doing the Ghost Dance.


Memory Necklace 2010, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry)
silver charms: lotus blossom, tree of life, flaming heart milagro, and cross
materials: aquamarine, carnelian, turquoise, lemon quartz, peridot,
prehnite, garnet, brown pearl sterling silver chain and wire, and gold filled wire


To honor the earth, I added a string of knotted brown pearls that will become the second layer of my necklace. I eliminated the wire-wrapped garnets included for March, which no longer felt connected to the spirit of the piece.


Flaming Heart Milagro charm, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry)

As a reminder to open my heart space, I added a flaming heart milagro charm wire wrapped to a single round garnet.

This necklace is a constant surprise to me, because its colors and design are unlike anything I've ever imagined myself wearing. It's like seeing an internal emotional makeover manifest on the outside, and I have to constantly tell myself that every part of the process is important and to stick with it.

Do you ever find yourself having a hard time following a path because you are unsure where it leads?

6 comments:

  1. Always! I think that we put up walls and set our own limitations at times. But I also believe that when you open yourself up and have a vision of what is possible that there will be all sorts of doors opening to you. That is happening to me right now. That is a moving and inspiring piece, Beth. Thanks for sharing your inspiration. Enjoy the day!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love looking at your jewelry...it's quite inspiring and very quilterly in my minds eye. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is glorious, Beth! I love it that you are willing to share so much of your creative spirit and the thoughts behind you deletions/additins to your heirloom memory necklace. Am looking forward to next month to see where the journey takes you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. All the time, Beth... all the time! It's sometimes hard to remember that it's a path, not a destination.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am loving the journey of the memory necklace... and your most recent addition is wondeful... i love layered necklaces, meaning and depth... thank you beth for taking us along while you make choices and follow your heart...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zoe, oh is it you laughing down that path with me?!

    Thank you to all for enjoying this step by step journey it helps me to keep moving forward without fear :)

    Erin, I love this inspiration of opening yourself, opens other doors. Thanks for this boost of wonder!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)