6.14.2010

Enjoying the Return

silver lotus blossom necklace pearl jewelryReturning, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry):
silver lotus blossom charm, sterling silver chain and wire,
mixed tourmaline,
labradorite, rosy gray freshwater pearls, and silk thread

Remember my pigeons from last month? Their colorful inspiration finally wove its way into one of my jewelry designs.


rose tan pigeonPortland Pigeon, Beth Hemmila
Look at this amazing tawny, rose colored beauty! She arrived just the other day post-necklace design, and now I may have to do another one based on her...endless sources of inspiration :)


silver lotus blossom necklace jewelryReturning, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry):
silver lotus blossom charm, sterling silver chain and wire,
mixed tourmaline, labradorite, rosy gray freshwater pearls, and silk thread

I felt like there were so many layers to these pigeons that they called for something more elaborate, so I found a strand of rosy, lavender gray knotted pearls languishing in my bead box and paired it together with mixed tourmaline gemstones, labradorites, and a large lotus pendant.


silver lotus blossom necklace jewelryReturning, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry):
silver lotus blossom charm, sterling silver chain and wire,
mixed tourmaline, labradorite, rosy gray freshwater pearls, and silk thread

Much to my neighbor's dismay these pigeons return to my yard every day to feed on scraps left behind by the squirrels and other birds. What am I to do? I even changed the food to only sunflower seeds to appease my saddened birding friend, but the pigeons seem to have adapted to the new spread. I feel like they see my yard as some kind of home base -- a safe haven.


silver lotus blossom necklaceReturning, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry):
silver lotus blossom charm, sterling silver chain and wire,
mixed tourmaline, labradorite, rosy gray freshwater pearls, and silk thread

I sort of like this idea that my small plot of untamed urban landscape, with a tree standing firm in the center and a Buddha watching over it from the back corner has become a sanctuary for our neighborhood pigeons. A place they enjoy returning to every day.


Returning, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry):
silver lotus blossom charm, sterling silver chain and wire,
mixed tourmaline, labradorite, rosy gray freshwater pearls, and silk thread

What a joy it is to see the pigeons return, to watch the rascally squirrels cavort with them, and the neighborhood cats gaze longingly from atop the wooden fence. It has been a divine experience...better then anything I could have imagined :)

4 comments:

  1. Love the layering effect and yes I can see the colors of that pigeon.... what a feminine piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you pull your inspiration from nature! That has to be the most uniquely colored pigeon that I have ever seen! Her coloring reminds me of late autumn leaves. You honored her beauty and translated it into such a gorgeous work of art!

    The pigeons keep returning because of the beautiful and peaceful energy surrounding your home and yard. I've heard many other stories like yours, and read a few interesting ones recently in a book about animal reiki. So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so beautiful. I love my Hint charms. I wear two daily; the lotus and the zen leaf. The Hint charms I have given as gifts are favorites to me as well as those who have received them. Your spirit travels through those gifts Beth, and maybe the sanctuary that you spoke of is passed out through your work as well! Peace!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Chrissy for liking the layering in this piece and enjoying it's delicate femininity!

    Sara, I just love that pigeon too because it made me think of fall! Thanks for seeing how the pigeons came through in my work. How interesting about this concept of reiki and animals...I'm super intrigued!

    Linda, so wonderful to have your presence here and thank you so much for loving the charms you wear from Hint. This image you created for me of a sanctuary passing through my work out into the world is so touching. Thank you for seeing this possibility and sharing it with me! Many blessings

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)