6.10.2010

Heirloom Memory Necklace: May 2010

silver lotus tree charm pendant jewelry necklaceMemory Necklace 2010, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry)
silver charms: lotus blossom, tree of life, flaming heart milagro, and cross
materials: aquamarine, carnelian, turquoise, lemon quartz, peridot,
prehnite, garnet, brown pearl sterling silver chain and wire, and gold filled wire


One word describes what May was like for me...

rain

Gosh, I know that sounds silly coming from a person who lives in Portland, Oregon where rain is on the agenda, but this year it felt different. Apparently, I wasn't alone for the weatherman agrees that we had some record breaking cold and sogginess last month.


silver wire soldered chainsterling silver soldered wire chain and brainstorming sketch

I don't know how to describe the feeling, but at one point the rain broke me down, and I began to give up and give in. For the first time, I felt as if I truly recognized an environment as a living and breathing thing. I became one with the rain.

When I was first dating my husband, he shared with me his favorite book -- Ken Kesey's Sometimes a Great Notion. In the spirit of curiosity, I stumbled my way through this great novel about a family of loggers living in Oregon. I look back now and chuckle, because throughout the whole read, Kesey has this way of making you feel wet, muddy, cold, and wrecked. I thought he was exaggerating, but really he took a story and magically put the feeling of Oregon into words.


silver wire soldered chain pearl necklacesterling silver soldered wire chain and knotted brown freshwater pearls

Last month I had to learn to stop lamenting the absence of sun and begin to look for the joy in rain. I wrote about puddles, the sound of raindrops, and a spontaneous thunderstorm. I took pleasure in wet leaves, spilling water, and moody clouds.

To remember my rainy May I added some silver wire wrapped drops to my chain of soldered metal circles to create a new layer in my Memory necklace.


silver lotus tree heart charm pendant neckalceMemory Necklace 2010, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry)
silver charms: lotus blossom, tree of life, flaming heart milagro, and cross
materials: aquamarine, carnelian, turquoise, lemon quartz, peridot,
prehnite, garnet, brown pearl sterling silver chain and wire, and gold filled wire

I think the best part of this new soldered chain addition is connecting with the feeling that something had been missing, and now I'm starting to see how balance will gradually evolve over time -- piece by piece.

6 comments:

  1. absolutely gorgeous. that chain is so pretty...well done Beth!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this may addition ... your chain and drops are so delicate and yet, not... what a necklace this is becoming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The chain is great. Have to work on my soldering skills. regards Stefanie who had a rainy may in Cologne too

    ReplyDelete
  4. That necklace is something else! Gorgeous!

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great, great job! I love it and it gave me some inspiration for a commission I just got...so thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, Stefanie I guess I'm not alone! Hope you are enjoying some sun.

    Thank you everyone for loving the direction this necklace is taking and celebrating my new addition. This made the rain all the better :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)