7.15.2010

Behind the Scenes: Reconnecting with Your Vision

silver tree of life necklace charmMy Mother's 50th Wedding Anniversary Necklace, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry)

Have you ever lost connection with your vision? The idea that has been shaping your life. Maybe you've dropped your vision along the way while you were involved in the busy-ness of growing your business, job, or relationships -- you've forgotten why you're here and why you're doing what you do.

I'd like to say I have a pretty strong vision for myself and Hint Jewelry, but if I was completely honest, I drop that precious thing more often then not. Like a toddler carrying an egg, I watch myself drop my vision hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly.

Perhaps this is why most organizations have created thoughtful mission statements or catchy motivational phrases and post them in strategic places, offering pithy reminders as to your purpose in the daily grind. I've actually begun to think they're onto something.



silver tree of life necklace charmMy Mother's 50th Wedding Anniversary Necklace, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry)

What am I doing this for? Why am I here? What's it all about?

These questions have been and will continue to be the ones that occupy my brain for most of my lifetime. During the spring, I was given an opportunity to reconnect with these questions and my vision for Hint Jewelry through a design collaboration with my mother.

This year my parents will be celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary, and though I can't imagine the full extent of what that means to them, as someone watching from the sidelines it feels incredibly powerful like looking up at a redwood tree.

I wanted to be able to honor the life they have built together through a necklace, and my mother worked with me to come up with a design incorporating the Tree of Life charm and a symbolic gemstone for each of the people and animals she has touched.



My Mother's 50th Wedding Anniversary Necklace, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry)


My suggestion was to think of each person like a flower in a garden and imagine a gemstone or color that best symbolized their spirit. In this way, the necklace became my mother's remembrance rather then a collection of birthstones that may not feel as significant.



My Mother's 50th Wedding Anniversary Necklace, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry)


Whether you are growing a family, growing a community, growing a business, or growing a garden, they all take time, patience, and a willingness to learn. More importantly, they all require a vision and the commitment to picking that vision up again when you think you've dropped it.

Your vision can be a complex statement or just one simple word. Whatever works best for you. Just be sure to write it out or sticky note it somewhere. Tattoo it to your heart or write it on your hand. Give yourself a tool that will help your brain remember the mission every hour of every day.



My Mother's 50th Wedding Anniversary Necklace, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry)


During this amazing design collaboration with my mother, I was able to reconnect with my vision and distill it down to the essence of what I believe I'm doing here and dearly hope is the message that comes through my work...

I want to rejoice in all of creation.


See more of my Behind the Scenes stories, to learn more about running an online business and making jewelry.

4 comments:

  1. Hmm, as I was reading this I thought, "I don't have a vision for anything. I just sort of stumble along." The idea of having one gave me a moment of panic. Things like mission statements and goal statements have always intimidated me--as soon as it's articulated I feel instantly oppressed and boxed in! But I rather like yours, it's not what I expected you to say. It's nice and broad, with room for however you want to define it from day to day. Sort of more of a basic mindset than your classic "mission". This will be interesting to think about--I see how it could help in filtering out things that really do not help us get to where we want to go, and could be more freeing than constraining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the multicolored beads and how delicate it is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful story, Beth, and a beautiful tribute to your Mom honoring your parents' life together!
    Congratulations on reconnecting to your vision through this worthy process.
    Bravo!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keirsten, you have now met one of those people who always wants to know "why" before they dive in head first! I'm guessing it is an intrinsic aspect of my personality type and sometimes I find myself a little envious of people who just take enjoyment in stumbling along!! I'm so glad you saw something new for yourself in this post and wanted to let you know that you helped me see how I have chosen something wide open. I hadn't thought of it in that way before and that's even more freeing now :)

    Copper Diem, thanks so much for delighting in the color and style of this necklace!

    Karen, wonderful to connect through the spirit of this necklace and mothers! Thank you for sharing your presence here.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)