7.06.2010

Honoring a Teacher's Lifetime of Service

silver phoenix charm heart in hand pendantMrs. Hatcher's Story, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry):
plum freshwater pearl, green tourmaline, amethyst, sterling silver,
and fine silver phoenix and heart in hand charms

One of the neatest projects I was invited to take part in last month was this beautiful necklace honoring a teacher called Mrs. Hatcher. My friend and her children collaborated on the design of Mrs. Hatcher's story necklace to honor her service as a teacher and to celebrate her new adventures during retirement.


silver phoenix charm heart in hand pendantMrs. Hatcher's Story, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry):
plum freshwater pearl, green tourmaline, amethyst, sterling silver,
and fine silver phoenix and heart in hand charms

Having grown up in the company of a teaching community and also being directly involved in education, I was deeply touched when this necklace came to life because it made me think of all the teachers I have loved and said goodbye to over the years.

The children chose the firebird charm to acknowledge the amazing transformation Mrs. Hatcher is about to embark on after retirement and the heart in hand pendant as a symbol of her desire to continue to serve others by doing volunteer work in the community.


silver phoenix charm heart in hand pendantMrs. Hatcher's Story, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry):
plum freshwater pearl, green tourmaline, amethyst, sterling silver,
and fine silver phoenix and heart in hand charms

Everybody has memories of special teachers or mentors who had an uncanny talent for shining the light on the best parts of their spirit. Often this important connection goes unacknowledged, and while I was fabricating this necklace it felt like I was given the opportunity to silently thank all my teachers for their gentle kindness and unfailing desire to nurture me as I grew up.

Thank you to my friend Lisbeth and her beautiful children for allowing me to be a part this extraordinary collaboration!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)