7.27.2010

Mermaid or Surfer Girl?

Surfer Girl, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry Design):
citrine, peridot, iolite, apatite, sterling silver,
and silver dolphin and turtle charms

Is it just me or does every woman have a wild surfer girl fantasy running amok in her head from time to time? Surfing still ranks on my top ten things to do, but lately I'm starting to wonder if I will ever put a plan into action.


Surfer Girl, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry Design):
citrine, peridot, iolite, apatite, sterling silver,
and silver dolphin and turtle charms

It's stories of mermaids, dolphins, and sea turtles that make me wonder what's out there; however, in all honesty the ocean feels slightly daunting to me. I grew up with lakes, rivers, and streams. For a woodland girl, the power of the ocean is both alluring and frightening all at the same time.


Surfer Girl, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry Design):
citrine, peridot, iolite, apatite, sterling silver,
and silver dolphin and turtle charms

For now I'm content to live in the mermaid fantasy found in my head and construct this ocean inspired necklace with my dolphin and sea turtle charms. I do hope it's fit for a real surfer girl with its sporty, aquatic colors.


Surfer Girl, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry Design):
citrine, peridot, iolite, apatite, sterling silver,
and silver dolphin and turtle charms

I couldn't resist adding this small turtle charm off the back as a hidden feature. I thought it would be fun to feel like a baby turtle was riding on your back while surfing the waves!

Are you a surfer girl? What keeps you going back to the ocean for more? What's the outlook for learning surfing after 40?

8 comments:

  1. Do it! Book a lesson! And let us know how you get on! My poor wetsuit has been abandoned over the last few years but now we've moved back to the sea it is just about time to dust it off again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! you surfer girls are all so daring, Laura :) Here I was planning on thinking about it for a couple more years. I love it! Thanks so much for the enthusiasm and encouragement. Hope you get out riding the waves again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am absolutely a surfer girl. I spent a couple of years of my early childhood living in Hawaii and then moved to Southern California where I've been ever since. I prefer body surfing to board surfing, but have done both. My Dad was still surfing at 70 so learning at 40 is no problem. Just find a good teacher! That necklace - and especially the dolphing pendant - is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kelly for enjoying this dolphin! What fun to know your father was still out there riding the waves at 70. I'm feeling more encouraged to take the plunge and look for the right learning experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. well. I must be the luckiest girl of all, cause I grew up on the east coast, in the Pine Barrens of southern NJ, and here we have streams, lakes, ponds, and woodlands - and at the same time are only minutes from that big blue animal, the Atlantic. I don't know how people live so far inland - just the thought of being in the middle of the country, away from the ocean, makes me claustrophobic.

    For several years I lived right on the ocean, I'd rent ocean front houses in beach towns every winter when they are really cheap. It was wonderful. But I do not surf. The waves here are not huge, and there are many surfers, and though I went in the water when I was younger, now I have a deathly fear of swimming in water where I can't see the bottom. Sharks and all that. I'll go on boats, I'll canoe, and I will even wade in up to a certain point - but that's it.

    I don't need to be in the water to appreciate it. One of the most beautiful moments of my life was one late September day when I was living a few doors from the beach - took my coffee up there one morning, sat down a few feet from the waveline to watch the sun finish coming up - and at that very moment, a huge pod of dolphins swam lazily by, there must have been 50 of them, outlined by the gorgeous sun, the sparkling waves, and the sky behind them....this was about 10 years ago, but I remember every second like it was this morning. I can't wait to move back there!

    I love your jewelry, Beth - but why don't you sell beaded chains like this on your Etsy site? I am in the market right now for a Buddha charm, and I really like the one you have....but I'd love to get it with that chain you picture with the dolphin/turtle charm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deanne, Oh what a wonderful memory and now image you have imprinted in my head!! I've never seen them up close and personal like that so I imagine it to be truly amazing. Also, thank you for your comment about the beaded chain. I've been going through some life changes this year and unfortunately the artistry in my shop has been coasting for some time. My hope is to have more one-of-kind beaded chains or necklaces for the upcoming fall and holiday season. If my other job slows down maybe even sooner :) I appreciate the feedback and encouragement for it helps me prioritize what people might be looking for in my shop. I hope you'll check back say in late September/October for potential surprises. All the best, Beth

      Delete
    2. Beth, I have searched long and hard, both over the web and in local stores, I had it narrowed down to one other one that i saw on Etsy, but I have finally decided that your buddha pendant is the one for me. (Money is tight, I make choices very carefully....)
      Wish I could get a chain and the stone charms as well, but they will have to wait...maybe in a month or so you will have some of the one of a kind chains you mention, and I can choose one then and add a little lotus or your windhorse to my necklace....

      Delete
    3. What a honor! Thank you for seeing your spirit in my work. I hope to have some chains like this to choose from for the holidays :)

      Delete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)