8.08.2010

Coleman Barks: Rumi's Love Dog



I was gifted another special connection through Hint the other day. A woman who fell in love with my courage charm, shared this YouTube video of Coleman Barks reading Rumi's poem Love Dogs. It is simply amazing to hear this poem come to life through a man's voice and music!

Coleman Barks is most known for translating and publishing Rumi's poetry into English. He has also taught poetry and creative writing at the University of Georgia for thirty years and been a student of Sufism since 1977.




There are love-dogs
no one knows the names of.

Give your life
to be one of them.

Jalal Al-Din Rumi, Love Dogs




If you're unfamiliar with the poetry of Rumi or if you are an avid reader already, I totally recommended purchasing this beautiful book called The Illuminated Rumi, which is translated and expounded on by Coleman Barks and illustrated by Michael Green. It is a masterpiece of visual image and words woven together to create one of the most gorgeous art books. I always come back to it because this book supplies me with an endless source of creative energy and spiritual connection.

3 comments:

  1. this really spoke to me in so many ways tonight... i thank you for sharing the rumi book that you recommend... i couldn't decide so therefore hadn't purchased one... i needed it to be just right...
    i have a book recommendation for you - 'art & fear' by bayles and orland... it is wonderful...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth! I'm so excited that we just brought home a new puppy! My lil love dog! We're so in love... pics soon :) You're the first person I've told.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary Jane, glad you love the idea of this illuminated Rumi. I think your pleasure in mixed media will love the thought put into this book. Thanks for the book recommendation. I haven't heard of this and it sounds really interesting.

    Lauren, I'm so excited for you and had to rush over and see the pictures of Shanti. Enjoy the Love Dog that has entered your life!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)