9.18.2010

Visiting The Detroit Zoo


Last month I had an opportunity to visit The Detroit Zoo while in Michigan. I hadn't been there in quite some time and was amazed by all the new exhibits and their stellar educational program. I was zooming around the park with my niece and nephew, but I managed to snap a couple pictures. I can't tell you what they are, but maybe you can! Could this one be a moth or is it a butterfly?




I think this is a butterfly in mid-flight.




Haha! Can you see how I was literally being tugged towards the next exhibit? The birds were strutting...I was on the move...everything was a wonderful blur of fun and excitement. I thought the color of these birds was so inspiring that I decided to share them with you nonetheless. Are they ibis? After working with Egyptian ibis sculptures I always imagined them to be white feathered birds. When I saw this scarlet color my imagination exploded!

4 comments:

  1. it could be a scarlet ibis...there is a short story called The Scarlet Ibis...we have a butterfly tent at our state fair and i have a photo of my son covered in those owl butterflies...they sat on him forever and he was fascinated...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever seen the Kjell Sandved "Butterfly Alphabet" published in books and posters? You might like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just visited Sea World with my son a couple of weeks ago and out of 150 pictures, I only ended up with about 20 that were usable and not blurry or otherwise ruined. I love that shot of the butterfly/moth.

    If you want to know what it is, you can always submit it to www.whatsthatbug.com and they will identify it for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jean, I've never heard of this short story The Scarlet Ibis. I'll have to go check it out. Thank you! Also, this image of the butterflies sitting on your son must have been amazing to witness.

    FryeStyle, I haven't seen the Butterfly Alphabet, but it's now on my list! Thanks for the suggestion :)

    Haha, Silver Parrot! You were on the move too :) Very funny. Love this web site for whats that bug. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)