10.25.2010

Backyard Sanctuary: Adding Compost


The next step in preparing our backyard sanctuary garden was to have one unit of compost delivered. This is a picture of the dump truck that left it's load on our front lawn. What a cool experience watching the truck unload the compost...made me wonder why I wasn't more into dump trucks when I was a kid!




Here's my husband hauling the compost from
the front yard to the back with a wheel barrel.





He made all these neat piles of compost, which we then
spread out three inches thick over the existing dirt.






My husband rented that beast of a rototiller again and mixed
the compost into the earth. Now our dirt is prepped
and our garden is ready to be planted. Yahoo!

3 comments:

  1. What a job! Two years ago I started my own compost pile in a metal trash can. My family jokes about my my lack of 'dirt' because the can is only about 3/4 full. Oh well, its a start.

    I can't wait to see your finished sanctuary, and only wish I had half your energy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha Alice! At least you started one :) It seems like it may be more complicated then it looks. Every time I start reading the instructions on making a compost pile I start getting a headache. So kudos to you for taking on this new endeavor.

    Thanks Petra!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)