10.09.2010

Backyard Sanctuary: Creating a Blank Canvas


Over the summer I mentioned that we have been wanting to landscape our backyard. While working with a design consultant we came to realize that in order to implement our vision of a backyard sanctuary we would need to cut down a tree that had been slowly dying.

I really loved the shape of that tree, and it was a focal point for quite a bit of activity in our yard -- cat scratching, squirrel climbing, and birds flitting around. Nevertheless, our new landscape design will include more wildlife friendly bushes, berries, and trees that will be a colorful hub for all the neighborhood creatures.


tree cutting





blank canvas

6 comments:

  1. I have had to cut away at least 6 trees, none as big as the one u cut but I am glad that I did..Now u can design that yard..Can't wait to see how it comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooo, can't wait to see it come into fruition :o)

    higs

    hello gorgeous xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. When we were first married, the fruitless mulberry tree that shaded a huge back deck, split and had to be chopped down. I cried and cried.

    Emanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always tough to cut down a tree, even one that is ailing. I can't wait to see your new yard. Ours is overdue for an overhaul, but every weekend affords no time to spare. Maybe its time to break down and hire someone......

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the idea of providing even more habitat for the creatures in your neighborhood... How exciting! Have fun... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Chris that's a lot of trees! I hope it goes well and you have some space to work with.

    Emanda, I'm so glad my tears were a shared experience. Thank you for understanding :)

    Alice, hiring a consultant really helped motivate us, for she narrowed our scope and kept us focused. Hope you have fun re-imagining your yard!

    Lauren, the habitat is what keeps me thinking positively about the whole thing. I can't wait to see some squirrels under the bushes. Thanks for cheering us one!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)