10.19.2010

Celebrating Day of the Dead with Skulls

polymer clay winged skull necklace jewelryDay of the Dead, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry)
polymer clay winged skull by Lynn Davis, ExpeditionD
brown leather cord, brass wire, and pearls

Last year I bought this amazing polymer clay winged skull from Lynn Davis' shop ExpeditionD. Of course time slipped away as Halloween turned into Thanksgiving, and I never had a chance to design anything special with it.

I decided to set this winged skull aside with the promise of making something for this year's Day of the Dead (Dia de los Muertos) celebrations.


polymer clay winged skull necklace jewelryDay of the Dead, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry)
polymer clay winged skull by Lynn Davis, ExpeditionD
brown leather cord, brass wire, and pearls

I kept it simple and wire wrapped pearls in brass to the winged skull and then connected everything to brown leather cord. I thought this winged skull piece looked extra special paired with a sterling chain necklace combining a mixture of Hint Jewelry silver charms and gems.



silver charm sugar skull day of the dead necklace jewelry braceletDay of the Dead, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry)
Hint silver charms: flaming heart milagro, sugar skull, and nine lives scary cat
gems: amethyst, ruby, amber, peridot, garnet, iolite,
carnelian, ruby, plum pearl, and orange moonstone

Have you been thinking about designing something special for Day of the Dead (Dia de los Muertos)? What colors and symbols are you using to get in the spirit of celebrating? Well, if you haven't decided on a particular bead yet, you should head over to Lynn Davis' shop featuring pewter hand cast creations and consider adding memento mori skull charm to your collection!

5 comments:

  1. Beth, I love how u are mixing and adding new textures to your creations.... the colors are fabulous...This current one u have is so earthy!and raw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This winged skull is amazing! Very unique!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you did with this necklace - and Lynn's winged skull piece is amazing! The perfect touch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome, Beth. I love it! Thanks for sharing the photos. Love to see you wearing it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. glad you all loved Lynn's design! It was a pleasure to work with this special piece :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)