10.14.2010

What's on Beth's Raw Food Cookbook Shelf?



About 30% of my diet is now raw food cuisine, ao I thought I'd share some of the cookbooks I've come across which I find useful.

Before I launched into cooking raw food, I took quite a few books out of the library to experiment with their recipes. There are many wonderful raw food cookbooks out on the market, but honestly some of them make it seem incredibly time consuming and difficult. Since my goal is to eat healthy and make food in less then an hour, these are the three books I bought for my shelf.

Raw Food: A Complete Guide for Every Meal of the Day is wonderfully photographed and makes planning meals simple because it is broken up into sections. It also has a good snack and dessert chapter, which was one of my main loves of the raw food diet. Some of the flavors in this book are slightly more challenging, but on the upside they have definitely stretched my idea of good food.




Nevertheless, if I had to pick one book for my shelf it would be Jennifer Cornbleet's Raw Food Made Easy. Don't let this poorly thought out cover art make you think less of the contents. Jennifer Cornbleet has written a concise, easy to use, beginners guide to raw food cuisine. She makes the diet accessible without feeling like you have to run out and buy a dehydrator or shop at Whole Foods. Everything I've made has been delicious and with simple ingredients you can find at most grocery stores. Raw Food Made Easy will help you learn the basics, which you can build upon later.





Ani Phyo understands how to make raw food cuisine interesting and fun. In Ani's Raw Food Kitchen, the author goes deeper into explanations about the diet, offers more variations on standard recipes, and provides alternatives for things you miss like cheese and sandwiches. This cookbook varies from extremely simple to complex and provides a wealth of information.

Have you found any other raw food cookbooks helpful?

8 comments:

  1. This has always intrigued my and I would love to begin to incorporate it into my families diets. Thanks for the suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for u Beth..Raw is best...You are ridding your body of all that process stuff...Will have to check out the books u have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second your recommendation of Jennifer Cornbleet's book. It's the one that I refer to again and again. Great introduction to the basics ... and the recipes are yummy too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The internet is my best friend when it comes to raw food recipes! I love Portland live chef, Andrea Livingston's blog: phytofoodspdx.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Raw really is a vital diet. How lovely of you to share your inspiration with us.

    I have enjoyed the book Rawsome by Brigitte Mars.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you heard of Nigella Lawson? She is my current idol. She actually has a lot of raw recipes w/in her books. One of my favorites is, Raw Beet, Dill and Mustard Seed Salad, from 'Nigella Fresh'--formerly, 'Forever Summer.' It had never occurred to me that beets could be eaten raw!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm relatively new with raw food "cooking" - so don't have many books yet...so appreciate the recommendations. I do enjoy "sweet gratitude" - a raw desserts book from Cafe Gratitude - authors Matthew Rogers and Tiziana Alipo Tamborra. I wouldn't say they were simple though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alls Wells, love the link to Andrea Livingstone. Thank you!

    Tammie Lee, I've never heard of Rawsome so thanks for sharing this book with me!

    Catherine, love how you pointed out that there are quite a few raw recipes in other cookbooks. Thanks for opening my eyes!

    Ruth, haha I know what you mean about some of those recipes not being simple. I've heard of this Cafe Gratitude but haven't checked it out. Thanks for adding to my new list!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)