11.29.2010

Away in a Manger

silver lamb sheep angel star bethlehem charm necklaceChristmas Nativity, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry)
silver lamb, angel, and star of Bethlehem charm
freshwater pearl and citrine

"Away in a manger, no crib for a bed...." need I say more? I love Nativity scenes and still haven't found the ONE that I'm ready to purchase for my home. My mother's porcelain Nativity scene is my favorite and was the best part of setting up holiday decorations. I dug placing all the characters in their spots and seeing them together in one scene. In fact, if I had to rescue one treasure from my parent's home this Nativity scene would be the item I would secret away (I hope you're reading this, mom!).

Sometimes I think of making my own Nativity scene and then get exhausted by all the competing ideas in my head. For the time being, I picked out these three pieces from Hint Jewelry's silver charm collection to stand in for a Nativity scene.

What about you? Do you have a Nativity scene that touches your heart and calls to mind the Christmas season? Do you have any special live Nativity scenes you like to visit? I'm quite partial to El Nacimiento at the Tucson Museum of Art and the painting by Botticelli called The Mystical Nativity.

5 comments:

  1. Your charms are darling! I have a very simple nativity which I love. My youngest always enjoys setting it up every year.

    Once I hosted a nativity show at my church where people brought in their nativities to display for a day. It was the most lovely display with nativities from all over the world, small, large, simple, elaborate, handmade and store bought. I was delighted at the number of people willing to share their nativity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alice, what a neat way to celebrate the season! That must have been a beautiful sight :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you are ok! I havent seen you blog much. Oh they are just Beautiful! I would like to buy that..and all monied out sigh. Maybe soon tho! Happy Holidays~ox
    Janet from Singingwoods

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was in high school my best friend's family had 'the' nativity set. It was hand carved wood, very graceful and modern but with a rustic folk quality. It's was perfect and I would love to find one like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks Janet for enjoying this piece and wishing me well! I'm on the mend :) Good to see you.

    Heather, gosh that sounds lovely. It's hard to get the perfect one out of your head. Hope you find it someday :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)