11.17.2010

Trip Around Mount St Helens

Mount St. Helens, Washington, Beth Hemmila

At the beginning of November, family visited us in Portland, and we decided to take a day trip up to Mount St. Helens in Washington. We were lucky enough to experience the most beautiful weather and an opportunity to picnic near a magnificent volcano. Many people make the trip around the northwest side of the mountain to Johnston Ridge Observatory, which is neat because you get a lot more history about the volcano; however, we like to explore the south side of the mountain where you can hike through Ape caves (lava tubes) and Lava Canyon. There is also a fun interpretative walk through the Trail of Two Forests, where imprints of an ancient woodland remain after a lava flow ripped through the area.

This winding southern route is one of the most gorgeous fall drives and provides incredible views of Mount St. Helens and Mount Adams.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I'd love to visit there someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is beautiful. We really do live in an amazingly lovely country. Hmmm... do I see mountain charms in your future, Beth?
    Enjoy the day!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Southern Washington is a gorgeous place to hike around, Alice! I hope you get a chance to make the trip.

    Erin, haha! Could it be that a mountain charm could be my way of doing UP...your ever curious love of the triangle?? I'm deep into a book that is set in the Himalayas which is one of my favorite places on earth and a childhood nickname. Himalaya = Hemmila Maybe you've just pointed me in the perfect direction :) Thanks sistah!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)