12.21.2010

Happy Holly-Days!


The other day I was feeling a little bit under the weather, and realized I had become disconnected from something that was essential to my happiness -- being out in nature. Since the cold and rain had descended on Oregon back in November, I had been shuttling from one warm building to another without taking much time to be outside.

Instead of going to yoga, I decided to take a walk at the Hoyt Arboretum and found myself pulled along a path filled with holly.



They were all so surprisingly different and changed my whole conception of the traditional holly plants you see at Christmas time. There were miniature plants, variegated leaves, and even ones with yellow berries.




I felt so enchanted. A magical forest of holly!




A non-native of Oregon, holly has adapted well to our Northwest environment and back in 1890, German immigrant Gustav Teufel started cultivating English holly for his gardening business. Teufel Holly Farms is a family owned fourth generation business that is still supplying some of the most beautiful holly and greenery. Next year I'm going to have to visit Teufel Holly Farms shop for some festive decorations.



I looked at something in a different, I got excited about experiencing the holidays with a new twist, and I reconnected with an essential part of myself that longs to be in nature.

This walk made me realize how easy it is for me to get swept up in the hustle and bustle of the holidays, and not even notice how I have left my true self behind. All it took was an hour out in nature for me to meet up with myself again and refocus my energy. I left home feeling exhausted and unsettled and came home feeling refreshed and centered.

As I close my shop to celebrate Christmas with my family, I leave you with this one wish and that is that within these final glowing moments of the season I hope that you too find the small places or things that bring you closer to your true self and a wholeness filled with happiness.

Thank you all for your gracious presence throughout the year!
Wishing you and your family peace and joy for the holidays!

7 comments:

  1. all the best to you beth... i too have slipped into that pattern... and last night standing outside under the stars reminded me of how much i miss walking outside... it is centering and connecting... thank you for all you have done for me this year... i am sure i speak for many...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Holidays, Beth, to you and yours. Thanks for the reminder to seek our true selves for the source of happiness, it's especially important in these hectic and activity-filled days at the end of the year. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your beautiful pictures from your walk! I love the trees so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Holidays, Beth! Peace and Love to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Holidays Beth! Hugs, Gunilla

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks to everyone for these well wishes! I did have a wonderful holiday break and am soooooo glad this post inspired others to take some time out for personal happiness!! :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)