12.03.2010

Learning When to Give In

heart speak day 58, beth hemmila

Hmmmm...I don't have much to say these days. In fact, my blog has appeared a little bit sparse lately. Hint Jewelry is keeping me busy, and I've also developed a sinus infection that seems to be affecting my eyesight. So if my cyber silence seems distant, it's just that I'm off being an elf and trying to keep things light this season.

In the meantime, I thought I might share one of my pivotal creative moments during my 120 day drawing challenge. Back on Day 58, I sort of lost it. I couldn't think of anything to draw and in my head all I wanted to draw was a picture that everyone was taught as a child -- house on a hill with a tree and some clouds in the sky. Oh, maybe a pond with a duck or a family to go with this scene, but really all I wanted to do was draw the house. The feeling was so intense that I imagined that if I drew this house every day, I would feel completely satisfied. Like someone who needs a cup of coffee to perk up in the morning, I needed to draw this picture every day to feel happy. So I gave in and drew it. This house is the most satisfying picture I've drawn yet.

The logical part of me is completely embarrassed by the simplicity of my action, but my childlike curiosity is totally enthralled with the beauty of the act. How often do we let our over rationalized, judgmental brains dictate what we are suppose to do in terms of being creative? How often do we miss out on personal pleasure simply because we don't follow what we are really wanting and do what we think is acceptable to others?

It's only in the last couple centuries that being creative has been equated with having to be unique. It was a rationalized mind that decided that to be valued as a human being a creative act must be one that has never existed before.

On Day 58, I'm pretty sure I saw my modern, rational brain give in to something more primitive. The empty mind, the one that doesn't care if I'm unique but just enjoys the simple pleasure of making its mark.

4 comments:

  1. I love that you challenged yourself to do this! I think that I could find great satisfaction and consternation in doing this! I say there are no rules to being creative. Why do what people expect or even what you expect? I like your little house and it reminds me of your charm like that. Thank you for sharing this. Enjoy the daY!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. AACK!! You just said what hit me square in the face just the other day: "It's only in the last couple centuries that being creative has been equated with having to be unique. It was a rationalized mind that decided that to be valued as a human being a creative act must be one that has never existed before."

    Well, okay, my realization was much more guttural than that, and it really was born out of frustration... but, I'm so glad to see that I'm not alone in thinking this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is a beautiful post... while the format of the picture hearkens back to our some of our earliest childhood drawings, there are significant similarities and differences... (by the way, i am writing a post on lmaj right now and naturally got completely enthralled by your thoughts to the point that i forgot i was doing it)
    anyway... the home is a basic need... i think for kids it is part of the identifier of who they are and where they belong... for adults is has to do with where you belong to - but we bring so much more to it... to what even the word 'home' means...
    maya angelou had things to say about home... one of them being 'the ache for home lives in all of us, the safe place where we can go as we are and not be questioned.'
    i think that your return to this picture was a kind of coming full circle in a way...

    ReplyDelete
  4. good to connect on this Erin and I love how you see things!

    Christy, I'm so glad we came to place at the same time. What fun to be able to relax together in this kind of thinking!!

    Mary Jane, your thoughts really deepened this post for me. Thank you for Maya's words and this idea that adults have a different sense of belonging :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)