1.25.2011

Behind the Scenes: How to Get Over 1000 Page Views on a Blog Post

community, beth hemmila

How do you get over a 1000 people interested in reading one of your blog posts? What's the formula for spreading the word?

Well, I don't have any magic up my sleeve, but I do have some interesting experiences to share that have prompted some silly insights:

1. Write about subject matter that comes from your heart.
2. If you have a trade secret to share, then be sure to write about it.
3. Make it a priority to add value to the Internet.

The Internet is a database, which is the same thing as walking into your local library -- a place where information is stored and cataloged using keywords, titles, and authors names. Though a lot of blogging is used like a daily journal or insight into a person's life, sometimes I think we forget that every time you make an entry, you are adding another book to the shelf in our collective library. Personal histories are wonderful records and help us connect to forge important communal bonds, but ultimately the most powerful technological tool in our lives today is at our fingertips to provide answers to questions.

Many of the questions are concrete and relate to a process while others are less tangible. Here is a list of my all time top blog posts:

Behind the Scenes: Designing Rubber Stamp Molds for Metal Clay Charms = 2,199 page views

Huichol Indian Prayer Bowl = 1,644 page views

Ishtar Gate & Wonder Woman = 518 page views

Backyard Sanctuary: Adding Compost = 218 page views

Behind the Scenes: Packaging Charm Stories
= 217 page views

I always get a giggle when I look at the statistics for my blog, because not one of these posts is my most memorable, and I would have never imagined they would be popular. And therein lies the key to getting over 1000 page views on a post. If you are inherently helpful in what you write about and don't concern yourself with a personal or business marketing agenda, people will naturally seek you out.

From the list above, you can see I wrote about things that gave me inspiration. And I wrote about answers to questions that I had been seeking, such as "how to add compost." I had done quite a few Internet searches on this process and thought that there might be some other confused souls out there wanting to know how to do this effectively and there wasn't much to go on, so I was determined to help the next person.

Add value on the Internet by providing possible answers to questions. Where to start is often sharing the answers to questions that you had difficulty finding on the Internet.

Even now I shouldn't be surprised that most people come to my blog through my post on Designing Rubber Stamp Molds for Metal Clay Charms, because honestly when I was trying to figure out how to do this I couldn't find anything out there in books or the Internet that dealt with the complexity of creating a decent image in Adobe Photoshop for relief molds. Everything I learned was through trial and error. For the longest time, people would ask me to write about my process, but I was reluctant because I felt kind of silly talking about it. In retrospect, I see that my blog post filled a gap in our community library and this is what people had been asking of me.

One of the biggest surprises is the post on the Huichol Indian Prayer Bowl. This post still holds a lot of meaning for me. It was a gift that I truly adored giving my husband, and connecting Carlos Castaneda's teaching with this prayer bowl is still working in my life today as I search for my happy spot.

I don't know how to get over 1000 people to view a blog post, but maybe that's the point. It shouldn't be about the numbers of people coming by, but who are the people you are trying to connect with and why are you seeking to connect. For if you naturally seek to build a community of like-minded people through the sharing of helpful information, you don't need a formula.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you. I took a lot away from this post-especially the last paragraph. Thanks again, Marlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are very good points! My 'greatest hits' page is also something of a tutorial. But, I do find the whole google analytics thing something of a mystery. BTW, Diane over at Craftypod has a lovely series about using Google Analytics for your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, well I don't always comment but I do look at your page EVERYDAY!. I have to admit that prayer bowl post was great! The art as well as the info. was insightful...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that of all the words in this post, the ones that make the most impact to me are your final words. "who are the people you are trying to connect with and why are you seeking to connect" Yes! That is what I am talking about! I just hit a huge milestone in followers and in so writing about it I was attempting to make this same point, though with a lot less eloquence than you. I remember when I started bloggin in November 2008... I did it because I wanted to build a community, my tribe. But I also knew that I would keep this record and write more for myself than to please anyone else, or to increase numbers or page rankings or what have you. I was even told by one computer 'expert' cynic that I shouldn't write this blog without somehome monetizing it with flashing ad banners and paid subscriptions. I am pleased to say that I have gained so much more from this community that I could ever give back and I would hate to falsely imprison my readers with banners that scream 'buy me!' or paying for content that I am not always sure of. I think that you have built your tribe on a consistent message of seeking deeper truths and have a great balance between business and personal stories. I love it here. Thanks for the inspiration!
    Enjoy the day!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this post and had to go and see the posts you mentioned. I agree with you and I also think that who YOU are and how you feel about what you're doing has a lot to do with it too. If you are sharing because you are excited, people can really get a sense of who you are and feel like they can know you and learn something from you. People really want to learn new things. They want to feel as excited as you do. It does rub off on them and they feel like they can express themselves too. All your posts are well written Beth. Your blog is really good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marlene, thanks for visiting and I'm glad this post spoke to you!

    LeAnn, thanks for the tip on Craftypod. Where have I been? What a neat blog and helpful blog.

    Chris, thanks for remembering the prayer bowl and many blessings for sharing your spirit with my blog every day :)

    Erin, glad these words resonnated with you and you are following your instincts when writing. Have fun creating your community!

    Catherine, haha you are too sweet! Yes, I think you are spot on. The you-ness in you and how you feel about you and what you're sharing is so essential. Thank you for seeing that. The speical sense of glee, happiness, and excitement are part of why people want to connect. Sometimes I forget that's what I'm really sharing and this was such a lovely reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your advice, actually. I like what I'm doing, maybe you will too: http://angelleighdesigns.wordpress.com/

    thank you!
    x
    a

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)