1.16.2011

Winter Trip to Smith Rock and Bend, Oregon

smith rock state parkSmith Rock State Park

During my Christmas break we took a short overnight trip down to Bend, Oregon to go skiing at Mt. Bachelor. On the way, we stopped at Smith Rock State Park to snap a couple photos.

Near Redmond, Oregon, Smith Rock is in the high desert, considered a mecca for climbing enthusiasts, and is assumed to be the birthplace of modern American sport climbing.


smith rock state parkSmith Rock State Park

Wow, I loved this place and definitely want to go back. I hear Smith Rock State Park is crowded during the summer because of all the rock climbers and other outdoor sports enthusiasts, but at the end of December it was quiet and serene.

It feels like it must have been considered sacred place during earlier times, but I can't seem to find any information from local Native American tribes.


oxford hotel bend oregonThe Oxford Hotel: Bend, Oregon

From Smith Rock we drove to Bend, Oregon and stayed at The Oxford Hotel downtown. I had to take pictures of their eco-chic rooms that were so lovely to sleep in. We had a cozy fireplace on the TV and wonderful room decor to enjoy while it snowed outside.

Service at The Oxford Hotel in Bend was incredible and everyone was mountain friendly. That night we had a delicious meal at their restaurant 10 Below that serves urban organic cuisine and then enjoyed some quiet time in their sauna and steam room.


oxford hotel bend oregonThe Oxford Hotel: Bend, Oregon

The next day when we went skiing at Mt. Bachelor it was a whiteout -- cold, windy, and snowy. Unfortunately, I couldn't take pictures because it was just too darn freezing. So the last thing from this trip to Bend that I couldn't forget was this amazing bathroom.

Is it me or do other women fall in love with a great bathroom? Wish I had been able to take a soak in this tub :)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Beth... That second picture is so gorgeous... I've been staring at it... Makes me feel like I'm there... Gorgeous. I'm so glad you had that getaway.
    Hey and I love nice bathrooms too. OUr current bathroom is by far nice... It's hideous, but we're planning to remodel it on a budget, the whole thing... before baby is born. That will make such a difference... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lauren, it was kind of a strange winter light, so it was hard to capture the immensity of the stone. Wish you were there. I know you would love it for it had some interesting peace surrounding it. Yahoo! Another bathroom mermaid :) I read an interior design book based on goddesses and apparently the bathroom is sacred place to Aphrodite. All I need is a shell to ride on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops, I forgot that I wanted to say...have loads of fun redesigning your bathroom for your bathing pleasure, Ms. Goddess of the Sea!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)