3.23.2011

The Buddha: Inner Strength of an Elephant

Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry): sterling silver elephant, lotus blossom, and buddha charms
I recently watched the documentary The Buddha, and the first story was such a surprise because I had never heard it. Before Queen Maya became pregnant with Siddhartha (Gautama Buddha, the founder of Buddhism), she had a dream that a white elephant gave her a lotus blossom and then dove into the side of her belly to stay.

Where have I been hiding out, and why have I never seen the elephant as a symbol for the Buddha? I was so tickled to hear about this story because it made me imagine the elephant, lotus, and Buddha charms from Hint side by side on a chain, making the perfect design for inspiring patience and inner strength.

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever seen the movie Little Buddha? I love it. It is so beautifully filmed and the story is compelling about these three little children that are said to be the reincarnation of a great teacher. I used to teach a section on World Religions to my 7th grade students and we always watched this movie when we discussed Buddhism. It stars Chris Isaacs and Bridget Fonda as the parents of one little boy. And Keanu Reeves as Buddha.
    Enjoy the day!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin, this suggestion was so cool. The Little Buddha is coming to me in the mail this week. Thank you for sharing your wisdom and ideas with me!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)