5.04.2011

Jay Shafer: Tumbleweed Tiny House Company

Jay Shafer Tumbleweed Tiny House Company
Meet Jay Shafer, owner of the Tumbleweed Tiny House Company, and a man who has lived in homes with less than 100 square feet in the last 12 years. It sounds like an amazing feat, but for anyone who has visited a living history museum in the United States and toured pioneer homes or African-American slave quarters, this doesn't seem entirely unreasonable.


Jay Shafer Tumbleweed Tiny House Company
One of the features I like best about Jay Shafer's designs at the Tumbleweed Tiny House Company is that you can have your home built on wheels. Isn't this rustic, mobile home way cuter and cozier then a monster RV barreling down the road?


Jay Shafer Tumbleweed Tiny House Company
I've always been attracted to small things, and if I was to build a house, it would probably be one of Tumbleweed Tiny House Company's designs. It speaks to that part of me that feels a kinship with Henry David Thoreau or John Muir. Both these men seem to understand that the space we are all yearning for isn't found through enclosure, but rather realizing that all the space you could ever want is waiting outside your front door. Jay Shafer's homes seem to acknowledge that the natural world is our true shelter.


Jay Shafer Tumbleweed Tiny House Company
At the Tumbleweed Tiny House Company you can buy plans to build these homes yourself or purchase houses ready made. The Tumbleweed Tiny House Company also offers small home building workshops around the country, and one will be stopping here in Portland, Oregon on September 17 and 18, 2011.

If these innovative design ideas appeal to you, consider purchasing Jay Shafer's Small House book and learn how to build a tiny home for under $20 grand. Apparently, it's so easy that many of his customers like Zoey, a single mom in Washington, have never built a house before and are tackling the job on their own.

9 comments:

  1. this is such a wonderful idea - and yes, it immediately brought to mind muir and thoreau... it truly integrates many principles of living - not being attached to the material, etc... thank you beth - hope you get to stop by the workshop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend introduced me to Tumbleweed Houses a little while back. I love them! Wouldn't it be a great studio?!!! Our home in Florida is half the size of our home in Maryland and I love the smaller space. It's so much more manageable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barbara, I would just love one of these houses for a studio retreat off in the woods!

    Mary Jane, so fun that you saw Muir and Thoreau in this architecture too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love tiny houses,the Katrina homes are wonderful small dwellings..not this tiny,but very livable small spaces.i'd be curious to see how an artist would manage with only 100sq'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the only practical way you could live in one of those full-time would be if you were in a temperate climate. You would need to be able to do a lot of your living and entertaining outdoors. If you had to spend 9 months out of the year cooped up in one I would think you would go crazy.

    They are very cute though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the feature (and reminder!), Beth; first read about Jay and the small, jewel-like homes in an issue of "Oregon" magazine. We will definitely be there to see him/them in Sept.!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with Barbara... I'd love to have one of these little guys for a portable studio. We live on 80 acres and it'd be wonderful to be able to move it around and position it whenever the mood strikes. My only concern would be forgetting where I put it!

    Great pictures by the way! They really give the sense of both elegance and small spaces.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been attracted to small homes for years and years. I have looked at these designs before and much as I think they are creative, they are just too tiny for me. (What would I do with all my beads and books?)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am SO in love with tiny houses. And tree houses you can live in. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)