6.20.2011

Seafarer

Seafarer, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry)
I've been doing some research on the fleur-de-lis, and though my first association with this symbol was with the French monarchy, I came upon an idea that is far more intriguing to me.


Seafarer, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry)
During the 14th century when European explorers were seeking to discover distant lands, a new navigational device was invented called the compass rose or windrose. The compass rose is a nautical chart used to display north, south, east, and west.


Seafarer, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry)
Each of the cardinal directions on the compass rose was associated with the name of wind: Tramontane (North), Levante (East), Ostro (South), and Ponente (West). Tapping into the symbolic language of the middle ages, these explorers used the fleur-de-lis which closely resembles a 'T' to represent the Tramontane, the North Wind, on the compass rose.

Isn't that the neatest thing? I love seeing the fleur-de-lis through new eyes and thinking of it as a symbol for finding True North and this wind called Tramontane that literally means "beyond the mountains."


Seafarer, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry)
I'm still sorting out my charm story for Hint Jewelry's fleur-de-lis, but I hope to pull together ideas of looking for your sense of True North and locating direction in your life. In the meantime, I designed this Seafarer necklace to provide some inspiration while I refine the meaning behind this charm.

4 comments:

  1. I think I mentioned this before, that the gold definitely gives it a different dimension on your charms...Stunning and unique!

    ReplyDelete
  2. True North conjures up the days when I was running the opening and closing retreats for the Leadership Institute in Portage County, WI. We would do a whole Native American medicine wheel and true north was the last direction to go in. This is a personality wheel as well as one to make decisions. I love that sort of multi tasking! Just knowing where the people in your life fall on the wheel helps so much in dealing with them, and also when making decisions. So first, go East. Look at the big picture. See the horizon, no idea is too crazy at this stage. Next, go South. Think of all the people that will be affected or who will play a part. Consider the human implications. Hospitality is a big part of South. Then, go West. Now you pick the ideas apart. You sort out the facts. You plan. You create action steps. Finally, go North. Charge ahead and get it done.

    It really does work!

    Enjoy the day!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...I love the story you just told... that's 'the story' for me... I love hearing about the meaning behind this symbol... thanks... I just came across this symbol recently and was puzzled... The North Wind, beyond the mountains... Lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christine, thanks for giving me a thumbs up on the gold, silver contrast!

    Erin, you always make my life richer. This is such a cool way of approaching your internal compass. I'm writing it down for future use!! Thanks for teaching me something new :)

    Lauren, oh how wonderful! I hit upon your story. This idea of the wind over the mountains is utterly romantic to me.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)