7.06.2011

Behind the Scenes: Simon Sinek & Why Ask Why?


Several months ago a friend on Facebook shared this TED video of Simon Sinek talking about how great leaders inspire action. This message happened arrived into my life around the same time I was reading The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell (if you missed that blog post be sure to read about Gladwell's ideas by clicking here).

Using the teachings from both Simon Sinek's book Start with Why and Malcolm Gladwell's The Tipping Point, I decided to clarify the business of selling charms at Hint Jewelry. Watching the video above is must, but in a nutshell Simon Sinek proposes that companies often forget to communicate the message of why someone might want to engage in a business relationship. In his approach the "Why?" is at the core of the exchange and the other questions answered like "How?" and "What?" move out from the center.

WHY
Why are you motivated to connect with my business (an intangible belief)?

HOW
How can you engage in my business so as to realize the why (specific actions)?

WHAT
What will manifest for you by relating to my business (results of actions)?

**********

Hmmmm...it seemed easy enough, but this task took me at least a month to get straight in my head and then another couple weeks to refine the language. Going into this writing assignment, I was already fully aware that Hint Jewelry is not about the concept of selling charms. For me, Hint Jewelry is all about facilitating an experience of self-discovery through the medium of personal adornment.

Here is an example of one of my first drafts:

Why (belief)?
I truly believe that when you connect with your personal symbols, you activate your purpose and form a creative collaboration with your spirit.

How? (action)
Using Hint charms you will build your personalized story necklace, celebrating and honoring past, present, and future symbols – messages from your spirit – and create a guide for awakening your purpose.

What? (results)
By designing and wearing this necklace you will gain new insights, answers to questions, feelings of comfort and peace, inner strength, focus and vision, and plan for your next steps.

After many edits here is my final statement:

Connecting with personal symbols is a collaboration between you and the universe to activate your purpose. A personalized charm story necklace from Hint Jewelry celebrates your past, present, and future symbols and awakens the deeper meaning behind your life. By designing and wearing your unique memory necklace, you will gain new insights, re-imagine your future, and develop faith in your process.

***********

The impact this statement has had on me and Hint Jewelry is still unfolding, but what I've learned from doing the internal search for answers and communicating my message through a well-crafted statement is that people (including myself) are now greeted with clear intentions when they interact with Hint Jewelry. I know why I'm here and people know why they've shown up at my shop.

If you don't know why you're doing what you're doing, then many times people won't know why they are going to want to enter into a relationship with your business and what value you can add to their lives. Getting clear on the true purpose of your business seems like something that should have been well thought out in the beginning, but from this experience I realized that it took three years for me to fully understand what I'm doing and why I want to be doing it.

I hope you find that it's never to late to rediscover the real Why behind your business!

3 comments:

  1. You are most excellent, Miss Beth. I think that I have been grappling with these same questions in the past month, but I haven't had the insight of these great teachers you mention. I will see about getting those books because your impact statement is huge, and I think that I need one as well. Thank you for sharing a glimpse into the journey that you are on. I know that for me personally, I have found a sense of personal magic through my story necklace. These symbols are things that resonate with me, but I also need to experience the why of them. Your visual symbols and my word mantras are similar in that they tell a unique story, give power to the soul and share a deeper truth. You always give me so much to chew on... thank you for that!
    Enjoy the day!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth,
    Thank you for sharing this ted talk with me (us)...I noticed your statement above when I came to your blog today and started my search to see what you have been up to lately.
    I too have been working on defining my why and being able to present my beliefs. Your post is so helpful.
    You are amazing, I have been a big fan of your work (and you!!) for a long time....just the other day I started weaning my courage lion necklace that I made with your charm and it gives me a sense of calm.....a feeling that I can do it.
    Wishing you a wonderful week, xo, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin & Laura, thanks so much for enjoying this post and connecting over the idea of re-framing your business.

    Laura, you are too sweet! Thanks for sharing your story of wearing the courage charm. That particular image is so very special to me :) Good to hear from you and I hope you are doing well also.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)