8.30.2011

Bloom for Just One Season

Blooming, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry): sterling silver daisy charm
I'm extremely fond of perennials because when you plant them they return year after year, grow, multiply, and spread. They feel dependable to me. I rarely invest my time in annuals even though they add all sorts of variety, color, and pop. They feel temporary, and I don't want to get too deeply attached to them because their life span is so short.



Blooming, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry): sterling silver daisy charm
Then the other day, I realized that sometimes my own life can be like an annual, for some activities I participate in, friendships I make, classes I take, and places I live can be short and bloom for just one season.



Blooming, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry): sterling silver daisy charm
Maybe I'm drawn to daisies because as a perennial they feel unwavering like a constant presence. They never fail to show up in the garden, and they keep their promise year after year.



Blooming, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry): sterling silver daisy charm
Nevertheless, I'm beginning to see the value of embracing annuals, for they teach me how to love more intensely and ask me to be more awake so as to experience every possible moment before they go away.

3 comments:

  1. this is meaningful and beautiful and reminds me of the saying about friends - reason, season or lifetime... i like your use of fiber (silk?)... lovely... and restates the intention of the piece... love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful sentiment. I have decided that my black thumb is a real bummer. This year I had all sorts of bloomin' annuals and by July they were reduced to dust. The effect of too much watering, not enough and basic neglect. Next year it might have to be silk plants. ;-)
    I have realized that there are people who come into your life just when you need them. Some stay for a long time, like cheerful daisies. Some are more annoying weeds, like dandelions, that I love to hate, but don't mind their presence at all. And some are there to bloom and grown with me for a short time, like the hibiscus that finally turned to dust on me. But during that time I am treated to beauty and strength and surprises that I might not have known without their presence. And although some go to seed, and scatter themselves to the winds, I know that they will find their ground elsewhere and bloom to share their beauty with another soul.

    You always make me think and smile.

    Enjoy the day!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful post... it takes awhile, but when you reach the point of understanding some things were meant to last and others to enjoy for a moment... there's a certain peace.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)