8.06.2011

No Plan: Being in Time with Timelessness


I went right along, not fixing up any particular plan, 
but just trusting to Providence to put the right words 
in my mouth when the time come; for I'd noticed 
that Providence always did put the right 
words in my mouth if I left it alone. 

~ Mark Twain, Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, 1884

Lately I've had a bit of luck in my life and have been experiencing a period of time where almost every moment has been an act of spontaneous creation without any planning ahead. It starts with feeling what might be the right moment to get out of bed in the morning (as opposed to looking at the clock) to noticing impulses that come up throughout the day and only acting on them if they feel right. The closest I remember to being like this was on a vacation alone where I'd wake up with no agenda and no one to please. It was delicious and incredibly rejuvenating. This way of being in time with timelessness seems more difficult when you've got obligations to other people, schedules to keep on track, deadlines to meet, bosses to make happy, distractions to indulge in, and the list goes on. 

However, if you are ever at a crossroads, and find yourself in a state of in between people, places, and things, I hope you take an opportunity to experience this sense of being completely in time with the impulse that is arising exactly as you feel or think it. 

I've glimpsed this kind of timelessness being while making art or music, playing sports, performing on stage, cooking a meal, or walking out in nature. The feeling that you don't know what's coming, but you are trusting in the beginning of the next moment and are open and ready to experience it. 

Though it may be hard to carve this place of improvisation out of scheduled time which is filled with pleasing the outside world, I've noticed that I can access this experience more readily through language and communicating with others. 

There are so many conversations that happen throughout day that are holding this amazing opportunity to create with each sound that emanates from your mouth. What if everyone became so utterly aware of their next thought and word that arises and embraced that this simple act in itself is a creative experience between them and Divine Providence? And what would the world be like if every word that fell from your mouth felt like the birth of something exquisitely new that the universe had never seen before?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)