11.09.2011

Leaving Never Never Land

Leaving Never Never Land paintings, Beth Hemmila: acrylic on canvas
This is the start of painting series that I'm calling Leaving Never Never Land. I like to first sketch my ideas out in pencil on my canvas and then fill in large areas of color with a medium tonal value of paint.

My concept was to pick one image that symbolized childhood and repeat it differently within each painting. I chose the image of a tree with a swing as my primary symbol. This tree and swing are my homage to the children's book The Little House and the author/illustrator Virginia Lee Burton.

What symbol reminds you of your childhood?

3 comments:

  1. i love this - going to think on it and come back...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely peek at what you are up to. It's an interesting series and I hope I get to see more of the process.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)