12.01.2011

Loving the Bare Necessities



Lately I've been thinking about what story to write for Hint Jewelry's new bear charm and found myself humming the song "The Bare Necessities" from my all time favorite Disney movie The Jungle Book. Okay, perhaps my enthusiasm is based on the fact that I dreamed of being like Mowgli raised by a pack of wolves, but it doesn't discount that the lyrics and phrasing of this song are incredible. As I was reading the words through, I noticed that Baloo's song may have been my first exposure to the concept of Zen simplicity: 

And don't spend your time lookin' around
For something you want that can't be found
When you find out that you can live without it
And go along not thinkin' about it
I'll tell you something true

The bare necessities of life will come to you

This year I've stripped my life down to the bare essentials both physically and emotionally. I've lightened the load and in return feel a whole lot happier. I saw the full impact of this change the other day when I was leaving my apartment at 2am to escape the Caughlin Ranch wildfire in Reno. For the first time I felt no attachment to what I was leaving behind. I basically grabbed Hugo (my cat), my purse, and Hint Jewelry's charms and scooted down the road, realizing that whatever was happening was out of my control and whatever the outcome I could start all over in a new and different way.

This holiday season I'm guessing there is a buzz of activity around you. Advertisers are telling you what to eat, what presents to buy, how to celebrate, and what to do to make yourself and your family happy. These things can often feel like your load is getting heavier not lighter. This year if you find yourself standing in the mall overwhelmed by the possibilities and tasks that need to be accomplished, maybe just take a second and hum a little bit of Baloo's tune, smile and laugh at the silliness of it all for you will always have exactly what you need.

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad to hear that your new adventures are the right path for you. You are on my mind and in my heart, Miss Beth. Wishing you the brightest of holidays!
    Enjoy the day!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. excellent - thank you... i will now happily have that song stuck in my head... i love that movie too... so very much...

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)