1.01.2012

2012 Year of the Dragon

St. George and the Dragon, Raphael (Italy, 1483-1520), 1504-1506, oil on wood, National Gallery of Art

Happy New Year!

I feel like we've turned a corner, and the optimist in me is looking forward to the year ahead. One of the things that excites me is that according to the Chinese Zodiac, starting on January 23, 2012, we will be entering the Year of the Water Dragon. For the Chinese, the celestial dragon is a powerful symbol of strength and good luck so 2012 could be one filled with incredible breakthroughs, leading to harmony and fulfillment.

The last time we experienced the Year of the Dragon was in 2000, and for me that year was particularly amazing because I made the crucial decision to move to San Diego, which ultimately led to a whole bunch of other pivotal things in my life. Remember the whole Y2K fizzle and singing Prince's 1999 on New Year's Eve? I even recall the most beautiful sunset that night where the sky was on fire, and we all waited to see what it would be like to enter a new century.


Dragon, Beth Hemmila (Hint Jewelry): sterling silver dragon

To celebrate 2012, I designed a dragon charm for Hint Jewelry. I haven't totally decided what I want to say about this creature because its hard to boil down all my excitement into a couple sentences. First of all I am extremely drawn to people born during the Year of the Dragon because they are such dynamic individuals. Any mother who is expecting a baby in 2012 will be blessed with an extraordinary soul. Secondly, dragons are ancient, mythical beasts that are part of so many stories lodged deep in our collective psyches and I don't want to miss out on this unique symbolism.

In the meantime, let's do a virtual high-five to 2012 Year of the Dragon and give thanks for what lies ahead!!

8 comments:

  1. Love your take on the dragon. Wishing you a great New Year - and looking forward to seeing what the Year of the Dragon has in store for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this charm/pendant is gorgeous and powerful beth... and i will be purchasing one for myself... i thank you for sharing what bodes for 2012 - i am ready for it... while i am not one to chart calendar years as chapters in my life story, i surely will be ok beginning a new one today... wishing you all the best in whatever your heart calls to it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting. I hope that this dragon bodes well for us all. I have been gearing up for some monthly charms and Chinese symbols keep popping up. I think that this would be the perfect pairing. Wishing you a creative wild ride for 2012.
    Enjoy the day!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. High-five Beth! Happy New Year! xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. High-five back, Catherine! May you prosper this year.

    Thanks so much to everyone for loving this design and sharing your enthusiasm for the year ahead!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing charm. I too will be purchasing one. I was born the year of the dragon and have always wanted a charm which symbolizes my Chinese sign. I wish you a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year and I too look forward to a year with much good luck and and amazing possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was just thinking the same thing about year 2000, it was a great year and alot of life changing events happened to me. I hope that 2012 will bring another exciting journey for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jeanette, thanks so much for loving this piece! I am happy it will find a home with you. Many blessings for the year ahead.

    Sabina, you too! What fun that we both experienced such a dynamic year in 2000. I hope your journey this year is multiplied :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)