1.05.2012

Erin Prais-Hintz: Simple Truths

 Seahorse Wonder, Erin Prais-Hintz (Tresori Trovati Jewelry): polymer clay, paint, ink, and metal bezel

In December 2010, jewelry designer Erin Prais-Hintz of Tresori Trovati Jewelry decided that she wanted to start creating her own components and embarked on a journey that led to Simple Truths.

Erin Prais-Hintz revealed an interesting tidbit about the birth these Simple Truth pendants for they came about during a time when she had joined a local group called Working Artists Initiative. This group of artists met bi-weekly to critique artwork and offer support. The idea was to bump up one's notion of being an artist to being a working artist. Being able to incubate your ideas among other creative minds is one of the best ways to stay motivated and on track with any goal.

Inspired by a book she had read called Four Word Self Help: Simple Wisdom for Complex Lives by Patti Digh, Erin Prais-Hintz set to work testing out different art bead mediums (e.g., stamped metal, resin, and etching) that incorporated inspirational words and images.

Erin's initial resin experiments didn't sell as well as expected, so she continued looking for the right medium for her beads. After reading a tutorial by Heather Powers on Art Bead Scene about using polymer clay to make last minute Christmas gifts, Erin Prais-Hintz set about designing her Simple Truth pendants. 

Erin Prais-Hintz loves the idea of being able to personalize these pendants with quotes that come from the heart of the person buying the charm. The opportunity to connect with such powerful moments in people's lives such as personalizing a woman's pendant who is dying of cancer, a writer who wants to believe she can publish a book, and adopted son and birth mother who meet for the first time is truly a gift to receive when being an artist. She is hoping to offer more of these custom order designs in the coming year.


Simple Truths Sampler, Erin Prais-Hintz (Tresori Trovati): polymer clay, metal bezel, paint, and ink

Last June, another neat idea Erin incorporated into her business model was to offer a monthly sampler club. She has around 10-13 members during any given month and these people all receive a unique pendant that is part of a limited edition run.

If you haven't met Erin Prais-Hintz yet or seen her shop Tresori Trovati on Etsy, be sure to stop by this year and get inspired by Simple Truths.

4 comments:

  1. Miss Beth! What a sweet surprise to see this today. I am humbled by the way that you have written about me. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I truly needed to be reminded of why I do what I do. Thank you for that. You, my friend, are a blessing.
    Enjoy the day!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin is one of my favorite people in the world! Seeing her creations was what inspired me to become a jewelry designer in the first place! I love her Simple Truths pieces, they are fun and truly special :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A customer once sent me one of Erin's "simple truths" pendants and asked me to design a necklace around it. That particular focal had a lovely range of soft, muted colors in it, and the organic look of the clay made it a real pleasure to design around. The words impressed into the clay also suggested just the right design elements. It made for a stunning piece, and it had meaning for the customer. It was very versatile and inspiring to use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin, you are so welcome! What fun to delight in your work and try to decide which pictures to post. This seahorse felt extremely special to me, and I hope to enjoy wonder like you all the rest of the year :)

    Marie, Oh my gosh that is so cool! Erin is an amazing source inspiration and support for me, so I understand how her light spurred you on :)

    Keirsten, what a neat story about designing around Erin's pendant! It must be so much fun to collaborate in this way. Hope you are well!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)