2.02.2012

Brene Brown: The Power of Vulnerability



This message is HUGE so I hope you are able to take some time to listen to the whole video. Within twenty short minutes, Brene Brown shows that in order to feel genuinely worthy of love and belonging you must first embrace your vulnerability.

****

Several years ago a wonderful mentor said to me: "You are always the safest and strongest when you are most vulnerable. Surrender to your vulnerability." My internal response to her notion was one of confusion and skepticism, but I trusted my teacher so deeply that I decided to remain open and see how I could apply it to my life. For me, vulnerability is not always pretty, and I can't say I even know what I'm doing most of the time, but I can say that creating and nurturing vulnerable moments have been a whole lot more satisfying then hanging back and doing nothing. 

In her talk, Brene Brown says that one the biggest steps you can take towards vulnerability is to allow yourself to be deeply seen by others and lean into these moments of discomfort. Wow, that sounds so easy, but as a human being with a brain that is deeply invested in physical and emotional survival, learning to be vulnerable could feel like jumping off a cliff.

When I learned to ski for the first time, I remember the instructor saying turn away from the slope and lean your body down the mountain. WHAT?!! That's just insanity because my body feels a heck of a lot better reaching for the safety and comfort of the ground if I leaned backwards instead of forwards. Learning to lean my body forward and reach out into space so that I propel myself down a steep slope is something that takes a lot of undoing of habitual behaviors. Only through experience and repetition that builds a sense of trust between my body and mind, will I ever believe that I am actually more connected to the moment on the mountain and my own inner power by becoming more vulnerable.

****

My new book Lemonade Mantras is an incredible tool that can teach you how to lean into the discomfort of your own emotional vulnerability through a repetitive practice of self-empathy. The exercises in Lemonade Mantras help you build a genuine connection with your inner voice creating more confidence in your own self-expression, which leads to a sense that being vulnerable is your most natural state of being. Through the Lemonade Mantras process you build a scaffold of courage for yourself by understanding and acknowledging your deepest fears and desires. By consistently applying the 10-step Lemonade Mantras process to your life, you will come to understand that you are worthy to be loved and will find ever-increasing moments of vulnerability entering your life.

4 comments:

  1. Does this apply to relationships? I remember being very vulnerable in my last one.. I knew in the back of my head certain things weren't right, and I allowed myself to be pulled in... I knew I should of gone w/my gut and I didn't.. It took me a few years to finally say 'enough!' and I ended it. I think in my case vulnerability does not bring out trust, it reminds me of quicksand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I think this concept does apply to relationships, but I know what you mean, Chris. It's hard to see how vulnerability works for you in unhealthy situations with others. I guess my first reaction to your experience is maybe that you were vulnerable enough to acknowledge that things weren't feeling right and eventually took healthy steps to better your life. That's an incredible awareness to develop. I'm not sure how it all works, but I just keep trying it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Or to simplify it: I wasn't going to be someone's' whipping post'.... My patience/stupidity ran out...lol

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to share your ideas and stories on my blog! Please know that I may not always be able to e-mail you a direct response, so be sure to check back to my blog and continue the dialogue. Many blessings for connecting with me through word and image :)